[comp.emacs] Portability problem with gnu-emacs dump-emacs

gaynor@porthos.rutgers.edu (Silver) (09/18/88)

> Why is gnu-emacs implemented with the self dump feature?  I know
> that it speeds up the start-up, but it is extremly unportable.

Well, it's also user-useful.  For example, if I'm hacking away at
vapor-mode.el, and need to leave but want to come back to my session
in exactly the same state...  After all, the dumped executables are
relatively small, like Wisconsin.

> Let temacs write the compiled lisp code into a file 'code.c' in the
> following format:  ...

Your startup suggestion isn't a bad thought at all.  Hmm, complaining
about portability, with a negative char in your sample data?  Hee hee,
I like it.

Regards, [Ag]

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (09/21/88)

From article <Sep.18.06.37.23.1988.29635@porthos.rutgers.edu>, by gaynor@porthos.rutgers.edu (Silver):
>> Let temacs write the compiled lisp code into a file 'code.c' in the
>> following format:  ...

 Er, people.... What about machines that don't really like making
the data space execuable and linked with the startup?  (cf comp.arch
and .c discussions on data/code segmenst some time ago).

--dave

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/23/88)

daveb@geac.uucp writes:
    Er, people.... What about machines that don't really like making
   the data space execuable and linked with the startup?  (cf comp.arch
   and .c discussions on data/code segmenst some time ago).

Then you #define NO_REMAP and unexec.c doesn't mess with trying to
push data into text space.

--Karl