[comp.emacs] Flavors of emacs

DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET (09/21/88)

That's a somewhat misleading Subject: line; what I'm really seeking is info on
the various *sources* of Emacs.  I know about GNU and UniPress; I've heard a
rumor about a company called CCA Uniworks that may have once existed (does it
still?).

Who else produces Emacs?  I'm not too particular about operating systems,
although Unix is obviously most likely.  If there is an archived discussion
about this, could someone please refer me there (if it is accesible from
BITNet, that is)?

If there's interest I'll summarize responses...

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,

Denis W. Haskin

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/22/88)

I thought CCA gave up on EMACS.  CCA EMACS is Zimmermans EMACS which is an
extension of Warren Montgomery's EMACS (the EMACS available from AT&T).
In addition to having to pay for it, the support was lousy, and they hadn't
added anything to it for years.  We got a few copies because for some reason
Alliant was shipping it with their systems.

The ATT EMACS isn't bad, similar to the older JOVE versions.  I used it
for a long time before ATT decided it was proprietary and that they
shouldn't have let us have a copy of it.

-Ron

pz@munsell.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) (09/23/88)

In article <Sep.21.16.15.02.1988.6958@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>I thought CCA gave up on EMACS.  CCA EMACS is Zimmermans EMACS which is an
>extension of Warren Montgomery's EMACS (the EMACS available from AT&T).

A long time ago in a universe far far away I used to be professionally
connected with CCA EMACS.  Ok, heres the scoop.

Steve Zimmerman wrote CCA EMACS based on Warren Montgomery's emacs.
For a while it freely distributed.  When CCA decided to sell it, CCA
lawyers and ATT lawyers (and hopefully some software people) sat down
and eliminated the ATT code.  CCA sold it for awhile.

Later on, CCA was purchased by Crowntek (a Canadian technology
corporate conglomerate) and CCA Uniworks was spun off.  CCA Uniworks
was wholly owned subsidiary of CCA.  (Our paychecks even said CCA on
them.)  Later, CCA Uniworks became an independent corporation called
Uniworks Inc.  That is where they stand today.  They still exists, and
they still sell CCA EMACS.  (Which I'm pretty sure I should put (tm)
after so there!)

DISCLAIMER: This is not meant to be an endorsement of Uniworks, just
the facts ma'am.  I happen to like software geneology.  If anyone can
add anything else, please send me mail. If you liked the original CCA
EMACS Sun mouse environment, you can thank me, if you didn't like
them, you can blame me.

					pZ
--
			     Paul Czarnecki -- A Newsfeed is Sometime Thing
	{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!pz