[comp.emacs] setenv in GNU Emacs

mly@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Richard Mlynarik) (10/06/88)

#define MAINTAIN_ENVIRONMENT in your config.h

I have never been able to understand why this isn't part of the
standard Emacs configuration (RMS is opposed to it for some reason.)

This defines the function setenv and slightly extends the getenv
function.  The code is in emacs/src/environ.c.

[BTW,  an interesting side-effect of having setenv is that it is (almost)
possible to use Emacs as one's login shell.  (One actually needs to
run a small trampoline program to set up the TERMinal-type information
for Emacs.]

jcgs@harlqn.UUCP (John Sturdy) (10/10/88)

In article <3159@hermes.ai.mit.edu> mly-wh@wheaties.ai.mit.edu.UUCP writes:
>possible to use Emacs as one's login shell.  (One actually needs to
>run a small trampoline program to set up the TERMinal-type information
>for Emacs.]
I have used emacs as my login shell (on BSD 4.2) without needing this - I'm
not sure what found the TERM information for me! But be sure to set
shell-file-name and explicit-shell-file-name to a conventional shell, otherwise
M-x compile etc will try to use EMACS as the shell!
__John
(jcgs@uk.co.harlqn)