[net.unix-wizards] Jove - GoLine Function - Fix?

ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) (03/13/86)

Anyone know why the goto-line function in Jove doesn't work?  It seems
that it doesn't allow the user to enter a line number to goto.

Has anyone fixed this? The code fragment from jove_misc.c reads as
follows:

GoLine ()
{
	if (exp_p == 0)
		return;
	SetLine(next_line(curbuf->b_zero, exp - 1));
}

It doesn't appear to make any calls to request user input.

--
Ron Flax  (ron@dsi1.UUCP)
ARPA:	dsi1!ron@seismo.arpa

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (03/16/86)

> Anyone know why the goto-line function in Jove doesn't work?  It seems
> that it doesn't allow the user to enter a line number to goto.
> It doesn't appear to make any calls to request user input.
> --
> Ron Flax  (ron@dsi1.UUCP)
> ARPA:	dsi1!ron@seismo.arpa
> UUCP:	..!{seismo, rlgvax, prometheus}!dsi1!ron

It takes the line number as a numeric prefix argument.  E.g., if you
have goto-line bound to ESC G (as I do), to go to line 137, you type:

	ESC 1 3 7 ESC G
--
Larry Campbell                                 The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: maynard.UUCP:campbell@harvard.ARPA       120 Fulton Street

ron@BRL.ARPA (Ron Natalie) (03/18/86)

It doesn't request any input because it isn't supposed.  You specify
an argument using the normal emacs procedure...e.g. to goto line 30
say M-30M-g (ESC 3 0 ESG g).

-Ron

moss@BRL.ARPA (Gary S. Moss (SLCBR-VLD-V)) (03/19/86)

I think Ron Flax was referring to envoking the "goto-line" function as
an extended command (typing it to the ':' prompt), as if it was not bound
to anything.  This indeed does not work, it will not wait for an argument.
-moss

ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) (03/21/86)

In article <1925@brl-smoke.ARPA> moss@BRL.ARPA (Gary S. Moss (SLCBR-VLD-V)) writes:
>I think Ron Flax was referring to envoking the "goto-line" function as
>an extended command (typing it to the ':' prompt), as if it was not bound
>to anything.  This indeed does not work, it will not wait for an argument.
>-moss

This is absolutely correct!  If anyone is interested I have hacked
Jove to prompt for a line number at the goto-line prompt, this means
you can now type ESC-g [ line number ] <RETURN> and Jove will take you
to that line (provided it exists!) and then inform of where you are in
the file.

I have also hacked in a function to display the filenames of
the current directory into a scratch buffer by typing a '?' at the
find-file prompt.  Similar to Gosmacs, however there is no completion
of names at the present time.  Basically it does an 'ls -C' to a
scratch buffer then returns to the extended prompt.

If anyone is interested in these hacks send mail.