[comp.emacs] DecServer 200s and GNU emacs

fst@mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) (10/03/88)

I seem to have problems disabling xon-xoff flow control on DecServer 200
for use with emacs.  Even though the port is configured for no flow control,
I still get random ^S/^Q sequence which seem to be originating from the
DecServers.  Does anyone have this problem? can it be fixed?  DecServers
are hooked to a VAX runing Ultrix 2.2.

Many Thanks.
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian
UUCP	...!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!fst

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T

dieter@nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) (10/11/88)

In article <1599@mcgp1.UUCP>, fst@mcgp1 (Skip Tavakkolian) writes:
>I seem to have problems disabling xon-xoff flow control on DecServer 200
>for use with emacs.  Even though the port is configured for no flow control,
>I still get random ^S/^Q sequence which seem to be originating from the
>DecServers.  Does anyone have this problem? can it be fixed?  DecServers
>are hooked to a VAX runing Ultrix 2.2.

Once the flow control gets turned off, it generally stays off.  I'm
more suspicious of whatever terminal you are using.  Going by the hard-
ware you've described, it seems likely that you have a VT-xxx.  These
beasts *like* XON-XOFF flow-control.  Try going into SETUP mode and
setting flow-control to NONE.

Some caveats: On a VT-220, you have to tell it to emulate a VT-100 and
send the VT-100 identifier, otherwise you might get reset to VT-220
mode (VMS will do this, as an example).  Poof!  no more escape key.
Also, at 9600 baud, you will get trash when scrolling via ^N every
once in a while.  ^L will fix, but it is annoying.  I couldn't get a
satisfactory combination of flow-control and usability out of a
VT-220, DecServer 200, uVax II, and VMS.  Maybe your mileage will
vary.  Come to think of it, there might not have been enough wires
to handle true hardware flow control on that line.  Try it and see.

Dieter
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
...cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!dieter

fst@mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) (10/15/88)

In article <1282@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, dieter@nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
> In article <1599@mcgp1.UUCP>, fst@mcgp1 (Skip Tavakkolian) writes:
> >I seem to have problems disabling xon-xoff flow control on DecServer 200
> >for use with emacs.  Even though the port is configured for no flow control,
> >I still get random ^S/^Q sequence which seem to be originating from the
> >DecServers.  Does anyone have this problem? can it be fixed?  DecServers
> >are hooked to a VAX runing Ultrix 2.2.
>
> Once the flow control gets turned off, it generally stays off.  I'm
> more suspicious of whatever terminal you are using.  Going by the hard-
> ware you've described, it seems likely that you have a VT-xxx.  These
> beasts *like* XON-XOFF flow-control.  Try going into SETUP mode and
> setting flow-control to NONE.
[deleted]

> Dieter
> --
> Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
> ...cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!dieter
> dieter%nmt@relay.cs.net
> dieter@nmt.edu

I should have done this in my original (above) posting. Here is the complete
picture:

        ------        -------      --------        ---------
       | AT&T |      | AT&T  |    | DEC    |      | DEC     |
       | 630  |<---->|DATAKIT|<-->| DS200  |<---->| VAX8250 |
       |      |  ^   |       | ^  |        |  ^   |         |
        ------   |    -------  |   --------   |    ---------
        	 |             |              |
                 +------+------+          Ethernet

                DKXON=OFF, DVXON=OFF
                (Datakit setting, no XON/XOFF)

Decserver 200 setting are set for no flow control. I am sure Datakit is
not the cause since I have UUCP and Blit protocol running on it. That
leaves my terminal and DS200/VAX. I am sure the problem is not at the
terminal, since I have set it not to generate XON/XOFF.  (I do lose
data on the 630 when there is a long output; I have tested this against
a 3B2-600.) So this leaves the piece of garbage DS200 and how it talks
to the VAX.

Many thanks.