[comp.emacs] File name completion problem

msb@ho5cad (Mike Balenger) (10/14/88)

In article <AUSTIN.88Oct10010837@iris.ucdavis.edu>, austin@UCDAVIS (Darren Austin) writes:

    [explanations deleted]

>	(setq completion-ignored-extensions '(".elc .o"))
>
>But it still showed *.elc files in the completion.  Am I doing
>something wrong here?

I got the following help with describe-variable:

Completion-Ignored-extensions's value is (".o" ".elc" "~" ".bin" ".lbin" ".fasl" ".dvi" ".toc" ".log" ".aux" ".lof" ".blg" ".bbl" ".glo" ".idx" ".lot")

Documentation:
*Completion ignores filenames ending in any string in this list.

My guess is that you are setting your variable to a STRING, not a
LIST.  Maybe something like (setq c-i-e (list ".o" ".elc" "~" ".bin"))
would do it.  Our machine sets this for me automagically, so I don't
know where the code is that gives me the default base.

>Also, it would be real nice to be able to ignore dot files and
>directories as well.  Is there an easy way to do this?  If not, I
>am willing to write the elisp code necessary to filter the
>completions, but I would rather not re-invent the wheel.
>
>Thanks for your time,
>--Darren
>--
>
>Darren Austin                         | "Memo to myself:
>UC Davis Division of Computer Science |    Do the dumb things I gotta do;
>austin@clover.ucdavis.edu	      |    Touch the puppet head"
>				      |        --They Might Be Giants

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (10/15/88)

I think that the original poster's problem is not that he has a bad
value for completion-ignored-extensions, but rather that he is unhappy
that its value is not used when constructing the completiion list in the
*Help* buffer when he types SPC, TAB or ? at a choice point.  The value
is only used when performing the completion, not when showing choices.

Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu