[comp.emacs] Micro-Emacs and language and whats new

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (10/18/88)

In article <13207@cisunx.UUCP> champ@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Patrick Champion) writes:

>	Has anyone ever made a larger, better emacs than microemacs 3.9e for
>the PC?  I mean really, 93K is not that big as far as memory goes.  I can't
>see what all the fuss is about keeping things small.  I wouldn't mind if
>micro-emacs grew to 150K or so.

	Small programs run faster, especially on slow (4.77) PCs. A lot
of people do use MicroEMACS on their older PC's and still expect good
performance. You may get part of your wish though, the version 3.10 BETA
is 108K large.

>                            I would gladly take a emacs of this size if
>it had multiple(queued or stacked) delete buffers.

	I am waiting for someone to implement a kill ring with
macroes...  I am not sure how such a beast should look, and I am
hesitant to C code it up without a prototype.

> Also, perhaps better
>documentation on the macro commands would be nice.  For the life of me I
>can figure out how to examine a system variable.

I am writting a beginner's manual to EMACS, which I hope to get
translated into as many languages as I can, and I have made some
improvements in the section of the reference manual that you mentioned,
but I am at a loss to why you can't look at a environment variable.

	M-X execute-command write-message &env "VARNAME"

	which could, of course, be macroed up to a single keystroke.

39	store-macro
	write-message &env @"Environment variable to display: "
!endm
bind-to-key execute-macro-39 FN;

	would set this up on the F1 key.

> Also, I would REALLY
>like a command that would translate tabs into spaces in the save file and
>visa versa. in the actual save file.  This would allow me to tab at 4 or 2
>spaces and then switch the whole file to 4 or 8 or whatever tab if I wanted.

	in MicroEMACS 3.10:

		find-file "filename"
		set $tabsize 4
		beginning-of-file
		set-mark
		end-of-file
		entab-region

	would change the spaces in a save file to tabs in the editor.

>Some day if I ever have the time( not likely) I would probably hack the C
>code myself, but I am kind of busy these days.

	Aren't we all?

>--
>Patrick Champion 			My views are not related to the
>					University of Pittsburgh's views.
>champ@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
>champ@pittvms.BITNET

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	1:201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533