[comp.emacs] RMAIL extensions -> ZMAIL

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (10/18/88)

I have been using Rmail (under GNU) and Zmail (on LispM) for a while. Zmail is
definitely more powerfull and I do not want to start a polemic on this subject.

I was just wondering if anybody out there have written some extensions to Rmail
to make it more powerfull (more like Zmail):

+ Everything should be done in the Summary window. The mail window is only
usefull when you want to edit the mail.
+ All the commands, exept edit, should be accessible from the summary window,.
+ filter definition (date, to, from, etc...)
+ Better sequence selection using filter (right now, it is only possible to
select with keywords)
+ Map actions on a sequence.
Etc...
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
                                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                MENLO PARK, CA 94025

brevard@mcc.com (Laurence Brevard) (10/19/88)

In article <23312@sri-unix.SRI.COM>, felix@AI (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
>I have been using Rmail (under GNU) and Zmail (on LispM) for a while. Zmail is
>definitely more powerfull and I do not want to start a polemic on this subject.
>
>I was just wondering if anybody out there have written some extensions to Rmail
>to make it more powerfull (more like Zmail):
>
>+ Everything should be done in the Summary window. The mail window is only
>usefull when you want to edit the mail.
>+ All the commands, exept edit, should be accessible from the summary window,.
>+ filter definition (date, to, from, etc...)
>+ Better sequence selection using filter (right now, it is only possible to
>select with keywords)
>+ Map actions on a sequence.
>Etc...

Hear!  Hear!  I second this posting.  I have been using Zmail for over four
years on a Symbolics LispM.  I switched over to rmail under GNU emacs because,
among other reasons, I can log in remotely and have the same mail interface.
[I am now using an X emacs client on a Sun4 with my Symbolics as an X10.4
 server--this posting is via Weemba's gnews reader.]

Aside from the fancier things mentioned above, some simpler things I sorely miss
from Zmail...
(1) Set Expiration Date
(2) Sort
(3) Summary window showing the number of lines in the mail

It seems like all this should be doable.  Maybe some ambitious person has
already done this. :-)
--
Laurence Brevard @ MCC VLSI CAD Program                           [512] 338-3567
P.O. Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 or 3500 W.Balcones Center Dr., Austin,TX 78759