[comp.emacs] Need cm?? fonts to print elisp.dvi file

abie@jtsv16.UUCP (abie) (10/19/88)

I recently obtained a copy of elisp.dvi, gnu-lisp documentation. I am trying
to print the document using  dvi2ps.  My problem is that the document
contains names of font files that I do not have.  The font file names
are cmb10, cmbr, cmbsy etc.

	Are thes public domain fonts.  If the are how can I get a
	copy of these files.

Here we are using SQPS from sq soft to convert troff documents to ps.
Does any one know the equivelent between SQPS fonts and CM fonts names.
Following is a list of SQPS fontlist
AGBO	AvantGarde-BookOblique
AGBR	AvantGarde-Book
AGDO	AvantGarde-DemiOblique
AGDR	AvantGarde-Demi
BKDI	Bookman-DemiItalic
BKDR	Bookman-Demi
BKLI	Bookman-LightItalic
BKLR	Bookman-Light
CB	Courier-Bold
CBO	Courier-BoldOblique
CO	Courier-Oblique
CR	Courier
HB	Helvetica-Bold
HBO	Helvetica-BoldOblique
HNB	Helvetica-Narrow-Bold
HNBO	Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique
HNO	Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique
HNR	Helvetica-Narrow
HO	Helvetica-Oblique
HR	Helvetica
NSB	NewCenturySchlbk-Bold
NSBI	NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic
NSI	NewCenturySchlbk-Italic
NSR	NewCenturySchlbk-Roman
PB	Palatino-Bold
PBI	Palatino-BoldItalic
PI	Palatino-Italic
PR	Palatino-Roman
SYM	Symbol
TB	Times-Bold
TBI	Times-BoldItalic
TI	Times-Italic
TR	Times-Roman
ZCMI	ZapfChancery-MediumItalic
ZDB	ZapfDingbats

Thanks in advance for an help
	abie

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (10/19/88)

Yes CM fonts are freely distributable. Get hold of a TeX distribution.
You need both the metrics (tfm) and raster (pk or pxl) files.

The styles of the fonts are explained in a TeXbook appendix. For
instance cmr is roman, cmbx is bold extended, cmsy is symbol, etc. But
forget about substituting them with native fonts. For one thing, the
code positions of some characters differ. You might be able to squeak
by for text fonts but there is no quick substitute for cmsy. The other
thing is you have only the DVI file and the placements (which have
already been computed in the DVI file) are going to differ from the
actual dimensions of the builtin fonts enough to make the document
ugly. If you were starting from the source, you could reformat using
the metrics of the builtin fonts, but...

	Ken

exodus@mfgfoc.uucp (Greg Onufer) (10/20/88)

From article <1988Oct19.022646.25018@cs.rochester.edu>, by ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap):
> Yes CM fonts are freely distributable. Get hold of a TeX distribution.
> You need both the metrics (tfm) and raster (pk or pxl) files.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe only TeX uses the metric files,
the dvi translator programs use only the raster files.  And as an aside,
when one obtains the TeX distribution, they should also obtain the
Beebe DVI Drivers from Nelson Beebe at the Univ of Utah.  Excellent
software for nearly any printer, and all in C.

--Greg

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (10/20/88)

|> Yes CM fonts are freely distributable. Get hold of a TeX distribution.
|> You need both the metrics (tfm) and raster (pk or pxl) files.
|
|Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe only TeX uses the metric files,
|the dvi translator programs use only the raster files.  And as an aside,

Yes, you're right of course. I forgot he only wanted to print a
document, not bring up TeX. Then again, tfm files take up only a small
fraction of the space taken up by pk files and they always come
together, so why not get the whole kaboodle?

|when one obtains the TeX distribution, they should also obtain the
|Beebe DVI Drivers from Nelson Beebe at the Univ of Utah.  Excellent
|software for nearly any printer, and all in C.

Indeed.

	Ken

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (10/21/88)

In article <312@jtsv16.UUCP>, abie@jtsv16 (abie) writes:
>	Are thes public domain fonts.  If the are how can I get a
>	copy of these files.

They are public domain.  Perhaps the authors of the document can also
make available the PostScript version of the file (e.g., output of
dvi2ps).  As the downloading of fonts would then be in the file, it
would print on any PostScript printer, at least any 300 dpi one.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr