[comp.emacs] The symbol `forward' in GNU Emacs.

karl@contact.umb.edu (Karl Berry.) (10/19/88)

Does anyone know what this symbol is, or where it came from? I cannot find it
anywhere in the C or elisp code. Its function cell, value cell, and property
list are all nil, which makes me wonder why it exists.

Thanks for any leads.

Karl.    karl@umb.edu

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (10/20/88)

In article <737@contact.umb.edu>, karl@contact (Karl Berry.) writes:
>Does anyone know what this symbol is, or where it came from? I cannot find it
>anywhere in the C or elisp code. Its function cell, value cell, and property
>list are all nil, which makes me wonder why it exists.

A grep of mh-e.el reveals (amonf others):

  (setq mh-next-direction 'forward)

Now I believe (shaky lisp though) that 'forward will at least make a
symbol-table entry for forward.  My guess is you use mh-e.  Do I get
the $64?
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (10/22/88)

From article <31125@bbn.COM>, by jr@bbn.com (John Robinson):
> In article <737@contact.umb.edu>, karl@contact (Karl Berry.) writes:
>>Does anyone know what this symbol is, or where it came from? I cannot find it
>>anywhere in the C or elisp code. Its function cell, value cell, and property
>>list are all nil, which makes me wonder why it exists.
>
> A grep of mh-e.el reveals (amonf others):
>
>   (setq mh-next-direction 'forward)
>
> Now I believe (shaky lisp though) that 'forward will at least make a
> symbol-table entry for forward.

Yes.

> My guess is you use mh-e.

Not necessarily.  Turns out that just sneezing in the direction of a
symbol will get it put in the symbol table.  For example, *defining* the
following function will create entries for w1, w2, w3, w4 and w5.

  (defun w1 (w2)
    (let ((w3)
	  (w4 t))
      (setq w3 'w5)))

"forward" appears (among other places) as a formal parameter to isearch.

>  Do I get the $64?

How 'bout if we split it?

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();    "Beauty is only skin deep, but
MESARD@BBN.COM                Ugly goes straight to the bone."