[comp.emacs] GDB

aeusesef@csun.UUCP (Sean Eric Fagan) (07/21/87)

[]
Has anyone attempted/succeeded porting GDB to anything besides VAXen
and Sun's?
Thank you for your support.

 -----

 Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources
 (213) 852 5742           Suite 2600
 1GTLSEF@CALSTATE.BITNET  5670 Wilshire Boulevard
                          Los Angeles, CA 90036
{litvax, rdlvax, psivax, hplabs, ihnp4}!csun!{aeusesef,titan!eectrsef}
My employers do not endorse my   | "I may be slow,  but I'm not  stupid.
opinions,  and, at least in my   |  I can count up to five *real* good."
preference  of Unix,  heartily   |      The Great Skeeve
disagree.                        |      (Robert Asprin)

keith@reed.UUCP (Keith Packard) (07/23/87)

In article <684@csun.UUCP> aeusesef@csun.UUCP (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>[]
>Has anyone attempted/succeeded porting GDB to anything besides VAXen
>and Sun's?
> Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources
>{litvax, rdlvax, psivax, hplabs, ihnp4}!csun!{aeusesef,titan!eectrsef}

I have ported gdb to a 32000 running Utek (a silly tektronix version of
4.2BSD).  I have had a few problems with it and I am wondering if any
recognised buglist exists for it.  I am running version 2.1 and have found a
several bugs; fixed a few.  Mostly, I am looking for a fix to a problem with
signal handling in the inferior process -- when the processes receives a
signal while single stepping, GDB ends up single stepping right into the
signal handler and ends up quite confused.

Keith Packard
tektronix!reed!keith

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/27/87)

As quoted from <684@csun.UUCP> by aeusesef@csun.UUCP (Sean Eric Fagan):
+---------------
| Has anyone attempted/succeeded porting GDB to anything besides VAXen
| and Sun's?
+---------------

Speaking of which, I'd like to know if it's possible to get GDB without
getting the full GNU Emacs package.  I can't run GNU Emacs on many of the
machines which I currently work with (System III non-paged, Xenix 3.0 and
Xenix System V/386), but these same machines lack a source-level debugger
which I need desperately.  I'm willing and capable of porting it to using
System III ahdr's and Xenix x.out format, as well as COFF.  (Porting it to
the 80x86 is harder, as I'm a 68000 hacker, but I can and will do it;
necessity is a mother.)

If it's possible, I'd like to have it mailed to me, possibly as uuencoded
compressed (-b12 please) shar files to make them smaller.

I shouldn't have to say this, but:  Please MAIL me any responses; I will
summarize to the net if there's sufficient interest.  I'll also consider
requests to post the 68000 ahdr and/or COFF version, or diffs thereof,
once they're done.

Thanks in advance.
--
 Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!cwruecmp!hal}!ncoast!allbery

PSI%SCRGWY::mauve::davis@sdr.slb.COM (Paul Davis) (10/22/88)

Snail: PO Box 153, Cambridge CB3 0HG, England
Phone: [+44] (0) 223 325282
Memo: To shatter tradition makes us *feel* free...

(Sorry its the wrong list, but I couldn't find the correct one ...)

has anyone got anywhere with getting gdb ready for use with Sun 4's
(SPARC) yet ? Are the results (eg; config files) mailable ?

Paul Davis