[comp.emacs] Need to format GNU Emacs docs - HELP!

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) (10/18/88)

I have been given a copy of GNU Emacs and would LOVE to print out the
documentation.  Unfortunately the instructions tell me to use TeX and
I don't have it.  I can think of several options:

1. Get the tools necessary and learn how to use them (not bad)

2. Get the documents already formatted for HP Laserjet II and print them
   myself (also not bad)

3. Get the documents already printed (not so good).

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you.
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc.
:  {coherent,mips,satyr,ubvax}!mrspoc!itkin

erlebach@csri.toronto.edu (Beverly Erlebacher) (10/31/88)

In article <1534@mrspoc.UUCP> itkin@mrspoc (Steven M. List) writes:
> I have been given a copy of GNU Emacs and would LOVE to print out the
> documentation.  Unfortunately the instructions tell me to use TeX and
> I don't have it.  I can think of several options:
[ several plausible options deleted ]
> --
> :  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc.
> :  {coherent,mips,satyr,ubvax}!mrspoc!itkin

I've written a program called texi2roff which will convert documents that
use TeXinfo to be printable with nroff or troff, using -ms, -me or -mm
macros.  It works just fine on the GNU emacs documentation.

texi2roff is available in the unix archives on simtel20 and has been
waiting to be posted on comp.sources.unix since August.  FSF will
probably include it on the next lot of GNU tapes.

If anyone needs texi2roff now, please email to me as evidence that you
are reachable and I will send it to you.  It will compile and run on any
flavour of unix and even msdos, but of course you need some kind of
nroff or troff to get much benefit from it.
Beverly Erlebacher			...uunet!utai!utcsri!erlebach
Computer Systems Research Institute	erlebach@csri.toronto.edu
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario     CANADA