[comp.emacs] Looking gift horses in the mouth.

dsill@NSWC-OAS.ARPA (Dave Sill) (11/09/88)

Reid M. Pinchback writes:
>...  When
>users don't get these people to jump up and down at their beck and call,
>we begin to see increased net bandwidth consisting of messages containing
>snide remarks and personal slights.
>...  Requests for info are reasonable,
>but David [Langdon], don't you think it would make more sense to
>sound encouraging instead of sarcastic? ...

Let me say right off that I am extremely grateful to those selfless
individuals that donate well designed, carefully implemented software
to the community.

But really Mr. Pinchback, aren't you taking this just a little too
seriously?  What's wrong with a little sarcastic spice in an otherwise
bland request for information?  Lighten up!  And if you really want to
encourage and support the authors of free* code, do what I do: send
them money, offer to be a beta tester, offer to write code, or offer
to help distribute code.

* "free" as in "open, not impeded or restricted"
=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"Computers should work the way beginners expect them to,
 and one day they will."
					-- Ted Nelson

bard@THEORY.LCS.MIT.EDU (11/09/88)

Reid M. Pinchback writes:
>...  When
>users don't get these people to jump up and down at their beck and call,
>we begin to see increased net bandwidth consisting of messages containing
>snide remarks and personal slights.
>...  Requests for info are reasonable,
>but David [Langdon], don't you think it would make more sense to
>sound encouraging instead of sarcastic? ...

  I didn't find the original posting particularly offensive, nor did I find
similar posting about my own public domain programs too obnoxious.  In
general, I was quite happy at the fact that there were people who were so
pleased with my work that they couldn't wait for the next release.  (For my
part, I was also amazed that there were enough people who used DEC Rainbows
to care about my pd program.  Programmers for more common machines might be
more used to it, but I still don't think they'd be insulted.)
  I would take the inquiry as a complement, and chalk the sarcasm up to the
usual difficulties of expressing tone of voice by email.  It probably came
out sounding much more sarcastic than David Langdon had intended, at least to
Reid Pinchback's ear.  Just like this is more pedantic and goody-goody than I
want it to sound, but I don't feel like changing it.

  -- Bard the pd software gargoyle

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (11/09/88)

In article <31995@bbn.COM>, dsill@NSWC-OAS.ARPA (Dave Sill) writes:
> Reid M. Pinchback writes:
> >...  When
> >users don't get these people to jump up and down at their beck and call,
> >we begin to see increased net bandwidth consisting of messages containing
> >snide remarks and personal slights.
> >...  Requests for info are reasonable,
> >but David [Langdon], don't you think it would make more sense to
> >sound encouraging instead of sarcastic? ...
>
> But really Mr. Pinchback, aren't you taking this just a little too
> seriously?  What's wrong with a little sarcastic spice in an otherwise
> bland request for information?  Lighten up!  And if you really want to
> encourage and support the authors of free* code, do what I do: send
> them money, offer to be a beta tester, offer to write code, or offer
> to help distribute code.

Something many people, especially those participating on the net, forget
is that the spoken language is very different from the written language.
During speech the voice can have different tones and inflections put
on the same words to give them totally different meanings.  Unfortunatly,
the written word loses that.  When words are put on paper and/or video
screens, the subtle meanings are usually lost.  When a little sarcasism
is typed in it may sound and mean either nothing, or exactly what the
writer had in mind.  However, the people who read it will not usually
be in the same frame of mind as the writer.  Because of this, the readers
will interpret the written word in a (possibly) different manner.

I do not want this to be taken as a critisism of Mr. Sill, but rather as
a warning to all readers of this net.  Remember, please, to think on
how your writings will be read, and by whom.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.