[comp.emacs] Jove 4.9 tty mode on SCO Xenix

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/28/88)

I have Jove 4.9 running on my SCO Xenix 2.2.1 system (80286 version) and I
notice that unlike vi and microemacs, ctrl-S and ctrl-Q actually do stop and
restart tty output. Since I'm running on the console, I should be able to
override this and actually use those keys.

I tried setting the "allow-^S-and-^Q" variable to "on" but that doesn't
change anything. Was there something I should have done at compile time?

Thanks!
--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

c60a-2di@WEB.Berkeley.EDU (11/11/88)

Well, I'm not exactly an expert on the subject of Jove, but I think the only
real problem you'd encounter with ^S and ^Q is saving files (^X^S).  Try
^X S instead.  It works with my version of Jove, and I think it's a standard
feature built into the editor to deal with certain terminals that still use
^S and ^Q to stop and start output.

Hope this helps!

-----
Adrian Ho
c60a-2di@web.berkeley.edu

fink@RX/V.physics.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (11/11/88)

In article <186@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:

>I have Jove 4.9 running on my SCO Xenix 2.2.1 system (80286 version) and I
>notice that unlike vi and microemacs, ctrl-S and ctrl-Q actually do stop and
>restart tty output. Since I'm running on the console, I should be able to
>override this and actually use those keys.
>
>I tried setting the "allow-^S-and-^Q" variable to "on" but that doesn't
>change anything. Was there something I should have done at compile

I'm afraid you have it backwards. If you don't want to use ^S as emacs command
say "set allow-^S-and-^Q" variable off".
Then you can use '\' instead of ^S. You may also bind search and save to
anything you want. See the manual page "man jove" for more information.
         Paul J. Fink Jr.                    Internet:
         Oregon State University                fink@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
         Department of Physics               Phone:
         Corvallis, Oregon 97331                (503) 754-4631