[comp.emacs] "uw" terminal emulator and Gnu Emacs

gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (11/15/88)

I am using the UW terminal emulator (version 4.2) on a Macintosh, which
emulates an adm 31.  The Mac is connected (through a dial-up line and two
rlogins) to a vax running BSD 4.3.  On the vax, I am running the "uw"
server to get multiple virtual terminals, and I am running GNU Emacs
18.52.1 in one of those sessions.
   Here's the problem.  If type several C-f (move cursor right) characters
or several blanks, the cursor moves very slowly to the right.  There seems
to be a one-second delay between each movement to the right.
   This problem has occurred for me with C-f in previous versions of Emacs,
although I do not remember it happening with spaces.  The problem does not
occur when I use the "l" command in vi.
   Why is this happening?  How do I make it stop?  Does this happen with
the Atari UW version?
   Just in case, here's the termcap entry, retrieved with "printenv"

adm31:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:al=\EE:am:le=^H:bs:ce=\ET:cm=\E=%+ %+ :cl=^Z:cd=\EY:
	:co#80:dc=\EW:dl=\ER:ei=\Er:ho=^^:im=\Eq:li#24:mi:nd=^L:up=^K:MT:km:
	:so=\EG1:se=\EG0:

    Glen Ditchfield  gjditchfield@violet.uwaterloo.ca  Office: DC 2517
Dept. of Computer Science, U of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1
	"... and the rest, we will spend foolishly!" -- _Svengali_

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/16/88)

In article <22147@watmath.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) writes:

>I am using the UW terminal emulator (version 4.2) on a Macintosh, which
>emulates an adm 31.  The Mac is connected (through a dial-up line and two

I am also using uw 4.2 and have noticed something frustrating.  If I
have a uw window open at the same time as I am typing into Mockwrite,
uw will grab some of my keystrokes.  If I close the uw window it works
fine.

Also large pastes (10K chars?) into uw can crash the Mac.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent