[comp.emacs] Two questions about latest releases of emacs

david@hoqax.UUCP (DAVID LUBINSKY) (11/16/88)

Two features which I would very much like to use are not avaliable in version
18.49 of gnuemacs.  If anyone has implemented these extensions or has any
information about their inclusion in newer versions please let me know.

1) Highlighting selected text can now only be done in a very awkward way.  Has
this been imporoved?

2) Is there any version of gnuemacs running under some window sytem where
gnuemacs windows are actually windows belonging to the window system, not just
portions of the original screen.

Thanks for any help.

David Lubinsky
AT&T Bell Laboratories
david@hoqax.att.com

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/18/88)

In article <1958@hoqax.UUCP> david@hoqax.UUCP (DAVID LUBINSKY) writes:
>2) Is there any version of gnuemacs running under some window sytem
>where gnuemacs windows are actually windows belonging to the window
>system, not just portions of the original screen.

Native window-level support for various window systems:

The FSF GNU distribution has supported interfaces for X10 and X11.  It
also has an interface for SunTools, but not supported by FSF.  A nice
NeWS interface can be gotten separately from the FSF distribution,
also not supported by FSF.  We quite happily use all four here.  I
think I've heard about an interface to Apollo's window system, but I'm
not so sure about that one, since we have no Apollos here.

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/18/88)

jr@PIZZA.BBN.COM gently pointed out to me in private mail:

|In article <27852@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> you write:
|>In article <1958@hoqax.UUCP> david@hoqax.UUCP (DAVID LUBINSKY) writes:
|>>2) Is there any version of gnuemacs running under some window sytem
|>>where gnuemacs windows are actually windows belonging to the window
|>>system, not just portions of the original screen.
|>
|>Native window-level support for various window systems:

|I think you missed the point.  I think he means when you open a window
|on a file in emacs, it opens a new window with the X (or whatever)
|server, rather than reallocating space withint the one window it is
|already inside of.  I do believe that the feature he wants is coming
|in version 19, at least for X.
|--
|/jr
|jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

jr is right, of course.  And when those hooks are created for X, it
will be more straightforward for implementors of interfaces to other
window systems to provide similar support.