[comp.emacs] Obnoxious lisp code

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/19/88)

dieter@titan.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
   > "He even writes obnoxious LISP CODE!"
   > 	-- A local Lisp hacker and AI expert, having tried
   > 	   (thus far unsuccessfully) to bring up Gnews 2.0.

   And seems to ignore questions about it.  What troubles are you having?

An amazing thing was learned today about Gnews: It gets just all upset
if rnews is loaded before Gnews.

Matthew's reasoning on not avoiding conflicts between Gnews and rnews
is that one can't possibly need both at the same time.  Or something
like that.  And he's right.

But we'd been pre-loading rnews and rnewspost at build time for a
long, long time, so it was always already present when Gnews loaded
up, which caused Gnews to notice that there already existed a
news-mode-map, which meant that it didn't bother to initialize
news-mode-map, which was wrong...

The fix (thanx, Matthew) was to (setq news-mode-map nil) before
more.  It'll still autoload, of course, for the truly backward folk
still using it.  Gnews is now officially installed here.

BTW, Matthew seems to have found that .signature file pretty amusing
for the short while that I had it.

--Karl

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Matthew P Wiener) (11/19/88)

In article <KARL.88Nov19003017@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu>, karl@triceratops (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>dieter@titan.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
>   >[Karl's former signature:]
>   > "He even writes obnoxious LISP CODE!"
>   > 	-- A local Lisp hacker and AI expert, having tried
>   > 	   (thus far unsuccessfully) to bring up Gnews 2.0.

>   And seems to ignore questions about it.

Oh please.  I do respond when I can.  Sometimes I get busy for awhile.
Sometimes a correct response requires thinking.  And sometimes I just
forget.  I get lots of Gnews mail.  (2 Mbytes to date or so.  I stopped
counting long long ago.)

>An amazing thing was learned today about Gnews: It gets just all upset
>if rnews is loaded before Gnews.

The symptoms include the following, in case it happens to you:

"y" is unbound in news-mode.  The name "Gnews:" does not show up on the
left side of the mode line.  "NEWS" shows up as the mode name, instead
of "News".  "n" returns a "Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil."
error.  "l" returns an empty roster.

>		  so it was always already present when Gnews loaded
>up, which caused Gnews to notice that there already existed a
>news-mode-map, which meant that it didn't bother to initialize
>news-mode-map, which was wrong...

I suppose the time to program around any rnews conflicts has come anyway.
You gave me a real good scare there for awhile.

>BTW, Matthew seems to have found that .signature file pretty amusing
>for the short while that I had it.

Hell yes.  As Karl, but not the person he's quoting, knew, I give that
explicit warning in the README file.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"Nil sounds like a lot of kopins! I never got paid nil before!" --Groo

dieter (The Demented Teddy Bear) (11/20/88)

In article <17246@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
> In article <KARL.88Nov19003017@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu>, karl@triceratops (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
> >dieter@titan.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
> >   >[Karl's former signature:]
> >   > "He even writes obnoxious LISP CODE!"
>
> >   And seems to ignore questions about it.
>
> Oh please.  I do respond when I can.  Sometimes I get busy for awhile.
> Sometimes a correct response requires thinking.  And sometimes I just
> forget.  I get lots of Gnews mail.  (2 Mbytes to date or so.  I stopped
> counting long long ago.)

Sorry 'bout that.  At best I can claim a stressful week coupled with a
long reply time.  At worst, I "have no excuses."

BTW, the generation of the "From:" field for follow-ups produces bogons.
Specifically, if you post via inews, you'll get "From: dieter@titan.nmt.edu",
which inews looks at and says, "Aha!  He's got a partial path, so we'll
just tack on the local path, producing 'Path: nmtsun!dieter@titan.nmt.edu."

This is considered poor form by some folk.  My local fix was to simply
remove the code that appended the "@titan.nmt.edu" from reply.el.  You
might consider making this customizable (other than by source hacking).

Dieter
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
dieter%nmt@relay.cs.net

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Matthew P Wiener) (11/21/88)

In article <1487@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, dieter (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
>BTW, the generation of the "From:" field for follow-ups produces bogons.
>Specifically, if you post via inews, you'll get "From: dieter@titan.nmt.edu",
>which inews looks at and says, "Aha!  He's got a partial path, so we'll
>just tack on the local path, producing 'Path: nmtsun!dieter@titan.nmt.edu."

Ah, that's what causes that!  I'd say that's a bug in inews...

The correct fix is to use the reply-path variable.  If nil inews/nntp
will set the path, but if it's a string, this will be the path used.