[comp.emacs] ispell and ispell.el

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (11/29/88)

I just installed ispell & ispell.el. Unfortunately, it looks like
ispell does not recognize plural or verb form such as "looks" derived
from look.

For example: page is recognize, but not pages, and spell recognize both.

Did I make something wrong during the installation of ispell or ispell.el
or is ispell more conservative than spell (with the same dictionary).

Thanks in advance,
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
                                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                MENLO PARK, CA 94025

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (11/30/88)

In article <24826@sri-unix.SRI.COM>, felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
> I just installed ispell & ispell.el. Unfortunately, it looks like
> ispell does not recognize plural or verb form such as "looks" derived
> from look.
>
> For example: page is recognize, but not pages, and spell recognize both.

ispell uses flags on dictionary entries to indicate which derivations are
allowed.  For example, in my dictionary the entry for "look" is:

        page/DGMRSZ

The S flag indicates that "pages" is allowed.  The isexpand program that
comes with ispell will show you all the expansions of a dictionary entry.
For example:

        $ isexpand
        page/DGMRSZ
        *** EOF ***
        page
        page's
        paged
        pager
        pagers
        pages
        paging

The dict.2 dictionary contains all the words from /usr/dict/words, so ispell
should recognize all the words that spell does.  If you have a different
dictionary, use the munchlist program to combine your dictionary with
/usr/dict/words or to create a new dictionary from scratch from your word
list.

-- Ashwin.