[comp.emacs] GNU-Emacs on Compaq 386 / SCO Xenix?

spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (12/07/88)

Has anybody got GNU Emacs working on a Compaq/386 or similar system
under SCO Xenix? If so I would appreciate hearing from you!

If not, what about micro-emacs?

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
        |                                            #include <disclaimer.h>
| | | | | | | | |
\ \ \ \_|_/ / / /
  \_\_\_|_/_/_/

        |  happy hannuka!
       _|_

vonzelow@adobe.COM (Jon von Zelowitz) (12/08/88)

My experience with Unipress EMACS on a 386 makes me suspect that
GNUmacs would also be dog-slow. I am now a happy user of Epsilon,
an efficient reimplementation of The Concept.

ken@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Ken) (12/08/88)

In article <79@adobe.COM> vonzelow@adobe.COM (Jon von Zelowitz) writes:

   My experience with Unipress EMACS on a 386 makes me suspect that
   GNUmacs would also be dog-slow. I am now a happy user of Epsilon,
   an efficient reimplementation of The Concept.

Oh, but I beg to differ - I've been *very* impressed with the speed of
GNU 18.52 on my Zenith 386 (16 Mhz, 6 Mb real memory).  It loads and
runs very fast, and I'm used to running it on a VAX 8530 and on a Sun
3/60.  I would *highly* recommend GNU on a fast Xenix machine.

Ken

--

Kenneth R. van Wyk                   Calvin's mom running a bath for Calvin...
User Services Senior Consultant      Calvin: It's too cold!

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (12/08/88)

In article <79@adobe.COM> vonzelow@adobe.UUCP (Jon von Zelowitz) writes:

>My experience with Unipress EMACS on a 386 makes me suspect that
>GNUmacs would also be dog-slow. I am now a happy user of Epsilon,
>an efficient reimplementation of The Concept.

I use GNU Emacs on a PC Limited 286-8 with an Intel Inboard/386 in it.
I find that Emacs is not as fast as a DOS editor like Brief, but it's
speed is not a problem for me.  It reads files, writes files,
searches, scrolls and moves to the top and botttem of the file all
with acceptable speed.  It does slow down when you ask it to reindent
a large C program, but I have not found that to be a problem either.

Yes, there would be a large problem with it's speed if you did not
have enough memory, but with 3 Mb on a single user system, I do not
have any complaints.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University

brad@optilink.UUCP (Brad Yearwood) (12/09/88)

GNU Emacs is _not_ slow on a 386.  On a non-cached 16MHz 386
machine with 8MB of memory running Interactive Systems' 386/ix,
GNU Emacs started quickly enough and had crisp response -
snappier than I see on a Sun 3/50.  If you have enough memory to
to keep paging quiet, expect excellent performance.  It might
even be reasonably happy in 4MB on a 386, as you're typically not
carrying the overhead of a window system.

Brad Yearwood
Optilink Corp.  {pixar, tekbspa}!optilink!brad
Petaluma, CA

frank@Morgan.COM (Frank Wortner) (12/09/88)

In article <79@adobe.COM> vonzelow@adobe.UUCP (Jon von Zelowitz) writes:
>My experience with Unipress EMACS on a 386 makes me suspect that
>GNUmacs would also be dog-slow.

A Sun 386i runs GNU Emacs with no problems.  The performance is at least
the equal of a Sun 3/110 (68020-based).  I suspect that a Compaq should
be up to the burden of Emacs.
--
						Frank

"Computers are mistake amplifiers."

van@ocsmd.ocs.com (Van Gale) (12/09/88)

ken@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Ken) responds:
   Oh, but I beg to differ - I've been *very* impressed with the speed of
   GNU 18.52 on my Zenith 386 (16 Mhz, 6 Mb real memory).  It loads and
   runs very fast, and I'm used to running it on a VAX 8530 and on a Sun
   3/60.  I would *highly* recommend GNU on a fast Xenix machine.

I agree with Ken.  From my experience GNU is much faster then Epsilon.
I can't really compare with Unipress since I have only used it on
a 286 (it was very slow--as all 286 software is of course :-).
--
Van Gale
van@ocsmd.OCS.COM  ..!uunet!ocsmd!van