[comp.emacs] the opposite of "bashing"

news@bbn.COM (News system owner ID) (12/09/88)

>  From: dennis@raphel.UUCP (Dennis Vogel)
>  Newsgroups: sci.lang
>  Date: 6 Dec 88 18:47:03 GMT
>
>  Is there an opposite to the term "bashing" meaning an unfair,
>  unwarranted, harsh criticism (especially without an adequate
>  understanding) of an idea, group, etc.?  I need to use this
>  term (the opposite) but cannot think of a word that captures
>  the meaning.  Perhaps there is none but I thought I would ask
>  anyway.
>
>  Dennis R. Vogel    AT&T Bell Laboratories    Somerset, NJ

But what does "opposite" mean here? The opposite of unfair,
unwarranted, and harsh? In that case the "critique" family applies
("fair" and "even-handed" come to mind). Or the opposite of criticism,
something like the "flattery" family?

More support of the notion that:

	"opposites" usually aren't.

Sean Boisen -- sboisen@bbn.com
BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation, Cambridge MA
Disclaimer: these opinions void where prohibited by lawyers.

Sean

dsill@RELAY-NSWC.NAVY.MIL (Dave Sill) (12/09/88)

>>  Is there an opposite to the term "bashing" meaning an unfair,
>>  unwarranted, harsh criticism (especially without an adequate
>>  understanding) of an idea, group, etc.?  I need to use this
>>  term (the opposite) but cannot think of a word that captures
>>  the meaning.  Perhaps there is none but I thought I would ask
>>  anyway.
>>
>But what does "opposite" mean here? The opposite of unfair,
>unwarranted, and harsh? In that case the "critique" family applies
>("fair" and "even-handed" come to mind). Or the opposite of criticism,
>something like the "flattery" family?

I'm just guessing, but I'd say he's probably looking for a term that
means unfair, unwarranted, glowing praise.  "Flattery" and "adulation"
come close, but don't have the colloquial effect that "bashing" has.
The dictionary I have doesn't agree with me, but "slaving" seems to be
a possibility.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"The current free flow of information will stop.  Everyone will be
very careful about who they come into contact with and with whom they
share their information.  [The computer virus plague] might do to
computers what AIDS has done to sex."
				-- Anonymous Analyst in Datamation

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (12/09/88)

In article <33261@bbn.COM>, news@bbn (News system owner ID) writes:
>>  From: dennis@raphel.UUCP (Dennis Vogel)
>>  Is there an opposite to the term "bashing" meaning an unfair,
>>  unwarranted, harsh criticism (especially without an adequate
>>  understanding) of an idea, group, etc.?
>But what does "opposite" mean here? The opposite of unfair,
>unwarranted, and harsh? In that case the "critique" family applies
>("fair" and "even-handed" come to mind). Or the opposite of criticism,
>something like the "flattery" family?

How about "hyping"?  Maybe "promoting"?  These both have somewhat
sinister insinuations, if that is intended.

[Wayne - did you really mean this to go into comp.emacs?]
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (12/13/88)

In article <33277@bbn.COM> dsill@RELAY-NSWC.NAVY.MIL (Dave Sill) writes:
>  Is there an opposite to the term "bashing" meaning an unfair,

Try "mollycoddle," as in "He comes home for dinner 3 days late and
you mollycoddle him!"

Incidentally why's this in comp.emacs?