[comp.emacs] Localizing of English sources

eik@os.is (Einar Kjartansson) (12/18/88)

In article <726@pr1me.dk>, ns@pr1me.dk (Niels Sondergaard) writes:
> Hi There,
>
> I'm a great user of Free software, mostly for personal use, but also
> to give away to friends and customers. Usual I can live with my
> programs talking english, so can the friends, but if I give away
>
> I've found that most programmers "hardcode" texts in the programs,
>
> Exampel: Anders S|nderg}rd,      f|dt 8/9/82
> (name and birth of my son, and |} is real letters)

Also allow for the use of 8 bit character codes, so we can get a way from
the practice of using the ascii codes []{}\| for other symols that are
not used in English. By using ISO 8859/1 codes, the same printer or video
screen can support all languages used in Western Europe and North and
South America.

If the 8th bit is not stripped off and
"unsigned char" is used in place of "char" in where  comparisons
are done involving characters, life would be made much easier for those
of us that use languages other than english.

--
  Einar Kjartansson                           | eik@os.is
  Orkustofnun (National Energy Authority)     | eik@geysir.uucp