[comp.emacs] Finding out when new mail has arrived

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (12/17/88)

Is it possible for GNU emacs to notify me whenever I have new mail in my
mailbox ?

	Murky Buckets,

			vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

simmons@nucst4.neep.wisc.EDU (kim h simmons) (12/18/88)

I think that the word 'Mail' appears in the mode line if there is mail
that you have not read yet.

turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) (12/18/88)

You could use the recently posted 'popmail.el' which will pop up a
window and run rmail if you have emacs running. Which brings up a
few questions that I have (I'm not a lisp hacker):

1. Is there any way to get popmail to pop a buffer ONLY if the
current emacs session is running rmail already.

2. Is there any way to keep popmail from going to the first unread
message of the NEW mail (most disconcerting since I always have to
find the mail I was reading when popmail kicks in)

thanks

--
If the Nazi's had television with satellite technology, we'd all
be goose-stepping. Americans are just as suggestible. - Frank Zappa

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (12/19/88)

In article <8812180059.AA04299@nucst4.neep.wisc.edu>, simmons@nucst4 (kim h simmons) writes:
>I think that the word 'Mail' appears in the mode line if there is mail
>that you have not read yet.

... provided you have called (display-time), typically from your
.emacs file.  This in turn runs the program emacs/etc/ loadst, which
uses the environment variable MAIL if set to know where to look,
otherwise it defaults to /usr/spool/mail/${USER} for BSD,
/usr/mail/${LOGNAME} for USG, or /usr/spool/mail/${LOGNAME} for Xenix.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr