[comp.emacs] GNU emacs with suntools

gsh7w@astsun1.acc.virginia.edu (Greg Hennessy) (12/20/88)

I am trying to use a `cut and paste' from one window to an GNU emacs
running under emacstool. I can so what I want when cutting from a
shelltool, but not from a command tool. The ``stuff selection'' [I
think] seems to be mentioned in the man of shelltool for backwards
compatibility. Can any kind soul help me, point out the place in the
manual where it is probably spelled out?

Sincerely;
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA
 Internet:      gsh7w@virginia.edu
 UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!gsh7w

m1tag00@fed.frb.gov (Tim A. Grunwald) (12/21/88)

In article <942@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, gsh7w@astsun1 (Greg Hennessy) writes:

>I am trying to use a `cut and paste' from one window to an GNU emacs
>running under emacstool. I can so what I want when cutting from a
>shelltool, but not from a command tool. The ``stuff selection'' [I
>think] seems to be mentioned in the man of shelltool for backwards
>compatibility. Can any kind soul help me, point out the place in the
>manual where it is probably spelled out?
>
>Sincerely;
>-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
> USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

	Unfortunately, GNU Emacs does not support cut and paste between a
Sun commandtool window and emacstool.  Someone will have to write that in a
future release (requires selection-service programming).

	I have written an easy kludge to cut from a commandtool window into
emacstool.

	Assign the following emacs lisp function to a function key (I use
shift-L8 -- shift-GET), then just highlight what you want to paste into
emacs and press the function key.

(defun get-sunview-selection ()
  "Get text highlighted in a sunview window
and stuff at point"
  (interactive)
  (call-process "get_selection" nil t)
  )

	Tim Grunwald
	Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC, 20551
	uucp: uunet!fed!m1tag00   internet: m1tag00@fed.frb.gov

cdr@symbol.UUCP (Constantine Rasmussen - Sun ECD) (12/27/88)

   Date: 21 Dec 88 14:54:52 GMT
   From: "Tim A. Grunwald" <sun!uunet.uu.net!fed!m1tag00%fed.frb.gov>

	   Unfortunately, GNU Emacs does not support cut and paste between a
   Sun commandtool window and emacstool.

The version I was running sure did.  But I decided to stop using
emacstool and just compile as regular old GREAT emacs since the tool
was such a memory hog.

  Constantine Rasmussen             Sun Microsystems, East Coast Div.   F658
     (508) 671-0404                 2 Federal Street; Billerica, Mass. 01824
   ARPA: cdr@sun.com           USENET: {cbosgd,decvax,hplabs,seismo}!sun!cdr

m1tag00@fed.frb.gov (Tim A. Grunwald) (12/29/88)

In article <8812271545.AA20801@symbol.sunecd.com>, cdr@symbol (Constantine Rasmussen - Sun ECD) writes:

>   Date: 21 Dec 88 14:54:52 GMT
>   From: "Tim A. Grunwald" <sun!uunet.uu.net!fed!m1tag00%fed.frb.gov>

>	   Unfortunately, GNU Emacs does not support cut and paste between a
>   Sun commandtool window and emacstool.
>

>The version I was running sure did.  But I decided to stop using
>emacstool and just compile as regular old GREAT emacs since the tool
>was such a memory hog.
>
>  Constantine Rasmussen             Sun Microsystems, East Coast Div.   F658
>     (508) 671-0404                 2 Federal Street; Billerica, Mass. 01824
>   ARPA: cdr@sun.com           USENET: {cbosgd,decvax,hplabs,seismo}!sun!cdr

	Emacstool allows you to assign commands to all of the Sun function
keys, unshifted, shifted, and with the control key depressed.  This makes
it very easy to build a keyboard map that is easy to use and understand.
First time users of Emacs need not open a manual or use the built in help.
(They never do anyway :-) )
	Using the mouse is also *very* useful.  There are many builtin
capabilities for the mouse.

	For the above two reasons, we must use emacstool.  In your posting,
you stated that you had cut and paste builtin to your version of
emacs.  I am using Gnu Emacs 18.52.  What version do you use?
	I don't know of any version of Gnu Emacs that supports cut and
paste between a COMMANDtool and emacstool.  Yes it works with shelltools,
but no one uses shelltools anymore (except as dumb terminals for remote login).

	Please let me know if you've really gotten it to work.