[comp.emacs] Help with .emacs file

rad@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/03/89)

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an .emacs file for one of my accounts.  I'm having
trouble getting the syntax for the set-variable command correct.  (The
specific variable I want to set is meta-flag.)  I've tried:
set-variable meta-flag 1
set-variable meta-flag=1
and some other variations.  None have worked.  Ie., all have given me 'error
in startup file' type messages at startup.

What am I doing wrong?

Where is the syntax of the .emacs file described?

Thanks for any help.

Disclaimer:  This is JHC@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU borrowing my friend's
account.  The opinions expressed are not RAD@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU's.

-JimC

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (02/03/89)

In article <17851@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> jhc@Vax5.CIT.Cornell.EDU ( ) writes:
>I'm trying to set up an .emacs file for one of my accounts.  I'm having
>trouble getting the syntax for the set-variable command correct.  I've tried:
>set-variable meta-flag 1
>set-variable meta-flag=1
>and some other variations.  None have worked.

first put this in your .emacs file:
	(setq meta-flag t)

then go out and buy:

	"Lisp", Winton and Horn, Adison and Wesly 1984

and figure out what it is you just did.  (Your'll be happy you did.)

-wolfgang
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
TEL: (617) 267-4365	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (02/04/89)

In your .emacs try:
	(set-variable meta-flag 1)
elisp is closely related to common lisp.
--
	Charles Brown		charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
	Not representing my employer.