  To: john@vax1
  From: jim@vax2
  Subject: Party

  Tonite at 8.  Aloha.

  john@vax1...  Connecting to vax1.state.edu via smtp...
  Trying 123.4.56.78... connected
  220 vax1.STATE.EDU Sendmail 1.2/25 ready at Friday the 13th midnight
  >>> HELO vax2.state.edu
  250 vax1.STATE.EDU Hello vax2.state.edu, pleased to meet you
  250 <jim@vax2.state.edu>... Sender ok
  >>> RCPT To:<john@vax1.state.edu>
  250 <john@vax1.state.edu>... Recipient ok
  >>> DATA
  354 Enter mail, end with"." on a line by itself
  >>>.
  250 Ok
  >>> QUIT
  221 vax1.STATE.EDU closing connection
  john@vax1... Sent

In a successful transmission as this, I would trim the trailer at a
later time.  In a problematic case, I would find the information quite
useful.  Perhaps the emacs RMAIL could be modified with a toggle for
displaying trailers just as it has for headers (rmail-toggle-header).
Any suggestions?

			Richard Faulkenberry
			arpa: dcl@lakisis.umd.edu
		              (or dcl%mimsy.umd.edu@lakisis.umd.edu)