[comp.emacs] Copy region function for GNU wanted.

mende@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (02/10/89)

In article <6930003@hpdtl.HP.COM> conway@hpdtl.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway)
writes:

> Does anyone have a macro for Gnu emacs that will allow me to copy a region
> without modifying the source buffer by first killing that region?

take a look at the copy-region-as-kill command.     This is what you
want...

					/Bob...
--

conway@hpdtl.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) (02/10/89)

Several people have pointed out to me where to RTFM to find out how to copy a
region.  Thank you very much for the help.

Dan Conway

dpaulso@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (Dave Paulson) (02/10/89)

>Does anyone have a macro for Gnu emacs that will allow me to copy a region
>without modifying the source buffer by first killing that region?

try: M-x copy-region-as-kill

which inserts the region into the kill ring, but which does not modify the
source buffer.  you can then switch to the destination buffer and C-y

---
Dave Paulson	dpaulso@relay.nswc.navy.mil	(703)663-2137
"I've upped my standards; now up yours" -- Pat Paulsen

m1tag00@fed.frb.gov (Tim A. Grunwald) (02/10/89)

In article <6930003@hpdtl.HP.COM>, conway@hpdtl (Daniel F. Conway) writes:
>Does anyone have a macro for Gnu emacs that will allow me to copy a region
>without modifying the source buffer by first killing that region?
>
>Dan Conway
>dan_conway@hplabs.hp.com

	Try M-w.
From C-h k:
copy-region-as-kill:
Save the region as if killed, but don't kill it.

	Tim Grunwald
	Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC, 20551
	uucp: uunet!fed!m1tag00   internet: m1tag00@fed.frb.gov

pratap@hpcllcm.HP.COM (Pratap Subrahmanyam) (02/11/89)

There is a function called "copy-region-as-kill", at least on the GNU that
I am running. This doesn't modify the buffer. Treat this like "kill-region".

- pratap.

rex@otto (Rex Jolliff) (02/12/89)

how about M-w. works like C-w except it doesn't remove the source region.

								Rex.