[comp.emacs] Help with Emacs

clmebri@uop.edu (Brian Joseph Maiorella) (01/06/88)

I'm sure there is an easy way to stop emacs from chopping words off and
wrapping half over to the next column.  But for the life of me I cannot
figure out how to do this.

I have an old dumb ADDS Viewpoint terminal and emacs is the only editor I
have been able to use with it.  (The Viewpoint does some weird things like
the up arrow is a Ctrl-Z which the UNIX takes to mean as suspend
>>frustrating!!<<)  This is no problem with emacs since i can just have 2
.emacs files with different maps -one for lab, one for terminal.

Anyway, I've been using EMACS for various papers as well as programs.  It
gets very tedious to fix paragraphs when a couple of words are changed at
the top.

I'm sure this problem is easy enough, but I have no documentation (and spent
a couple hours with help unsuccessfully trying to locate a command).  I just
discovered this newsgroup and do not feel like tying it up with something that
is probably common knowledge to everyone else, so if you could just mail me
the answer I'd appreciate.

Thanks for any help in advance.

-clmebri = CaLl ME BRIan-

"Its the littlest things that are the hardest to find"
|      ...mcvax!uunet!mit-eddie!garp!ames!ucbvax!ucdavis!\              |
|..eunetv!unido!/             ...princeton!rutgers!retix!--uop!clmebri  |
|                                    ...sun!ptsfa!cogent!/              |

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (01/08/88)

In article <874@uop.edu> clmebri@uop.edu (Brian Joseph Maiorella) writes:
>I'm sure there is an easy way to stop emacs from chopping words off and
>wrapping half over to the next column.

Say "M-x apropos fill" and you'll find out about (among other stuff):

auto-fill-mode:
Toggle auto-fill mode.
With arg, turn auto-fill mode on iff arg is positive.
In auto-fill mode, inserting a space at a column beyond  fill-column
automatically breaks the line at a previous space.

fill-paragraph:
Fill paragraph at or after point.
Prefix arg means justify as well.

In my .emacs, I have:

(setq text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(setq outline-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

and all works as desired.  Enjoy!
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob
 soon: bob@cis.ohio-state.edu

chris@spock (Chris Ott) (02/11/89)

     I have a few questions about generating emacs.

  1) On a Sun-3 and a Sun-4, running SunOS 4.0.1, emacstool compiles and
     runs fine, but I can't seem to get a scrollbar. Why not?

  2) Only on the Sun-4, I can't get the documentation program to compile.
     The "make" terminates with the message:

          sh: : cannot execute

     Why? I can get the rest of the stuff to compile, but any time I
try to get help, I get the message "Cannot exec binary file".

     I'm running GNU Emacs 18.51. Thanks in advance for your help.

     While I'm here, here is a message to Max Ott. I've tried three times
now to reach you, but my mail keeps getting bounced. RELAY.CS.NET keeps
refusing my connection and when I try leaving RELAY out of the path, it
says "Host unknown". Do you have another path?

Chris

 Chris Ott
 Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab        Infatuation is blind, not love. A
 University of Arizona                      person in love can see the other's
                                            faults, but loves them anyway.
 Internet: chris@spock.ame.arizona.edu
 UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!spock!chris

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (02/14/89)

In article <907@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, chris@spock (Chris Ott) writes:
>  1) On a Sun-3 and a Sun-4, running SunOS 4.0.1, emacstool compiles and
>     runs fine, but I can't seem to get a scrollbar. Why not?

If thie mouse works (I assume it does since you didn't complain), the
"scrollbar" is the right edge of each window; mouse hits in this area
behave according to the assignments for the scrollbar region.  There
is no graphical representation of it.  Look at the code in
lisp/sun-mouse.el for more details.  It is possible you are configured
so that it is hard to hit; check the setting of the variable
scrollbar-width.

>  2) Only on the Sun-4, I can't get the documentation program to compile.
>     The "make" terminates with the message:
>
>          sh: : cannot execute
>
>     Why? I can get the rest of the stuff to compile, but any time I
>try to get help, I get the message "Cannot exec binary file".

Hmmm.  Maybe the program make-docfile is a Sun3 executable and can't
execute on the Sun4?  Have you removed it and tried over?  Is the CC
variable in etc/Makefile set up properly, or does it default correctly
for the Sun4 in make?

[I've never tried any of this on a Sun4]
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr