[comp.emacs] "Commonly Asked Questions" posting?

kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (03/01/89)

Augh.  Three articles today in comp.emacs, two of which were:

> I've been told I will get flamed for this, but here goes...
> Where does one get a manual for Emacs?

and

> Does anyone know where I can get a manual to the latest version of Gnu
> emacs?

I think the time has come for a regular "Commonly Asked Questions" posting
for this newsgroup.  I suggest a monthly posting with expiration occuring
35-40 days thereafter.  This would insure that the "Questions" posting is
the first article new comp.emacs readers see.

This doesn't have to be a tome.  A short article could save gobs of
rehashes of old favorites like:

* Is there an GNU Emacs Lisp manual?  Where can I get it?
* How do I get a printed copy of the GNU Emacs Users Manual
* How do I evade rlogin/telnet/terminal-mux flow control?
* Why is scrolling slow on Suns?
* What's the latest version of MicroEmacs?  GNU Emacs?  JOVE?
  Where can I get them?

Any objections to this proposal?  Suggestions for improvement?  Considering
the number of gurus regularly participating in this group, we should be
cable to come up with a suitable document in short order.

kyle jones   <kyle@odu.edu>   ...!uunet!talos!kjones
Amanda screamed ceaselessly, like a firebell.
  "Woman shut your head." said Mrs. Reppler.

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) (03/03/89)

In article <457@talos.UUCP> kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) writes:
>I think the time has come for a regular "Commonly Asked Questions" posting
>for this newsgroup.  I suggest a monthly posting with expiration occuring
>35-40 days thereafter.  This would insure that the "Questions" posting is
>the first article new comp.emacs readers see.
>
>This doesn't have to be a tome.  A short article could save gobs of
>rehashes of old favorites like:
>
>* Is there an GNU Emacs Lisp manual?  Where can I get it?
>* How do I get a printed copy of the GNU Emacs Users Manual
>* How do I evade rlogin/telnet/terminal-mux flow control?
>* Why is scrolling slow on Suns?
>* What's the latest version of MicroEmacs?  GNU Emacs?  JOVE?
>  Where can I get them?

Don't forget the classic "How come Emacs keeps going into
incremental search mode every time I update the screen?".
It is surprising how many people have never looked into the
number of gems in the Emacs etc directory.  A short pointer to
the file etc/TERMS in regards to the above question would work
wonders.

Actually, I think a file describing commonly asked questions
should be instituted in *every* Usenet newsgroup.  I'll even be
so bold as to suggest that the load on the net would be cut by
up to *one-third* if this was done with an ounce of insight into
users' questions.

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
uunet!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!julian
julian@uhccux.bitnet