[comp.emacs] How do I make key bindings permanent in MicroEmacs?

templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (03/08/89)

	What I want to do is remap the keys in microemacs (for the macintosh,
version 3.8 or something like that) to make them more like the GNU bindings.
But there is no documentation and putting a .emacs file in the same folder
as the microemacs has no effect.  Does anybody know how to make bindings
stick around between invocations of the editor?

				--jt

fischer@dssmv1.mpr.ca (Roger Fischer) (03/09/89)

The initialization file is called ".emacsrc" or "emacs.rc".

I am running MicroEMACS 3.7 under Ultrix 2.1.
My .emacsrc looks as follows:

----------------------- begin .emacsrc --------------------
;	EMACS.RC:	Startup file for MicroEMACS 3.7

add-global-mode cmode
bind-to-key     suspend-emacs           	^Z
bind-to-key	execute-macro-1			FNX

; scroll both windows forward
1 store-macro
9 move-window-down
next-window
9 move-window-down
next-window
[end]
----------------------- end .emacsrc --------------

Since I am posting I migth as well ask another question:

Where (and how) can I get the newest release of MicroEMACS?
..seismo!ubc-cs!eric!fischer    ...ihnp4!alberta!ubc-cs!eric!fischer

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/09/89)

There should be a file read at startup which holds bindings and macro
definitions. On DOS it's called emacs.rc, on UNIX .emacsrc. Looking in
epath.h for v3.9p I see a file called emacs.rc, and directories /bin and
/sys/public. I imagine you would put the file in one of those places.

Hope that helps.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

srivas@udel.EDU (Mandayam Srivas) (03/10/89)

In article <1590@eric.mpr.ca> fischer@dssmv1.UUCP (Roger Fischer) writes:

>Since I am posting I migth as well ask another question:
>
>Where (and how) can I get the newest release of MicroEMACS?

I have version 3.9 of MicroEMACS. I can send it to you if you'd like, and
to anybody else, if they send me mail for it. I can also send you my
.emacsrc file which does a few neat things as far as indentation is concerned
a-la Gnu cmode.

Srivas.

PS: Is there a later version of MicroEMACS out there?