[comp.emacs] GNU emacs question and TeX

jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz) (03/11/89)

I have two related questions:

1) I finally got GNU emacs (18-52) on our VMS system.  I can not do anything
with the manual because I lack TeX.  Is TeX public domain and where can I
down load a copy?

2) I'm a bit lost trying to use GNU emacs - it doesn't look at all like
the other emcses I've used: Microemacs and System V Exptools.  I would like
to get GNU emacs to look like the others.  Please don't tell me to read the
manual (see 1 above).

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/11/89)

jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz) writes:
   Please don't tell me to read the manual (see 1 above).

But the entire manual is right there, online - just type
	C-h i
and you're in *Info* mode.  Select the emacs section, and you have the
entire manual in front of you to read at your leisure.  It's well
cross-referenced, so you can find most anything you need reasonably
easily.

--Karl

exodus@uop.edu (Greg Onufer) (03/15/89)

From article <2760@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, by jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz):
> 1) I finally got GNU emacs (18-52) on our VMS system.  I can not do anything
> with the manual because I lack TeX.  Is TeX public domain and where can I
> down load a copy?

18.53 is the latest.  It has one problem on BSD systems (discussed in
gnu.emacs.bugs) and the diffs are very small, try to get them.

Use the package texi2troff available from prep.ai.mit.edu (mail to
cheers!greg@lll-winken.llnl.gov or cheers!greg@Apple.COM if you want a copy
and cannot ftp).  It converts texinfo files to troff using one of several
troff macro packages, this should be what you want.  TeX is free, though,
and I would recommend obtaining it and using it.  (Religious wars.... ugh)

> 2) I'm a bit lost trying to use GNU emacs - it doesn't look at all like
> the other emcses [[[sic]]] I've used: Microemacs and System V Exptools.
>   I would like
> to get GNU emacs to look like the others.  Please don't tell me to read the
> manual (see 1 above).

I suppose you believe in reverse evolution?  As these ``mini'' emacs' strive
to look more and more like ``real'' emacs, you want to make ``real'' emacs
look like the ``mini' emacs'!!??!!

-greg