[comp.emacs] Help on EMACS

templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (02/28/89)

I've been told I will get flamed for this, but here goes...

Where does one get a manual for Emacs?  I saw a reference to one just a few
msgs ago.  There is no documentation in the "man" facility.  In particular, I
would like to know more about key bindings and named functions, as well as
about macros, how to write, build, and execute them.  And bind them to keys.

			Thanks!
				Jeff Templon
			templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (02/28/89)

In article <3283@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
> I've been told I will get flamed for this, but here goes...

No, we're all cool sensible level-headed people around here who try to tolerate
annoying beginners with stupid novice questions... :-) :-) :-)

> Where does one get a manual for Emacs?  I saw a reference to one just a few
> msgs ago.  There is no documentation in the "man" facility.  In particular, I
> would like to know more about key bindings and named functions, as well as
> about macros, how to write, build, and execute them.  And bind them to keys.

Instructions on getting hold of a manual were posted fairly recently, and I'm
sure the manual gurus would have sent them to you by now.  However, I must say
that I have seldom needed to use the manual.  Most of the information you want
is available on-line using the 'help' and 'info' facilities.

E.g., to find out more about macros, try running 'apropos' (normally C-h a) on
'macros', then 'describe-function' (C-h f) the functions you're interested in.

E.g., to find out more about key bindings, run 'info' (normally C-h i), go to
the Emacs node using the menu command (type 'mEmacs'), then go to the key
bindings node using 'mKey Bindings'.

A little browsing through the help and info facilities, along with peeking at
examples in the distributed .el files, usually reveals all you need to know.

Hope this helps.

-- Ashwin.

hollen@spot.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (02/28/89)

From article <3283@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, by templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon):
> I've been told I will get flamed for this, but here goes...
>
> Where does one get a manual for Emacs?  I saw a reference to one just a few
> msgs ago.  There is no documentation in the "man" facility.  In particular, I
> would like to know more about key bindings and named functions, as well as
> about macros, how to write, build, and execute them.  And bind them to keys.

Try C-h i which will get you the INFO facility which is a menu driven
information facility about all the things inside emacs.  To know more about
key bindings and named functions, find out who installed EMACS on your
system, go to the lisp directory for the lisp source and start cut and
pasting.  Some very helpful stuff can be gotten about key bindings from
the file edt.el which implements a sort-of edt keypad look-alike.  It
also defines named function which are then bound to keys.  I know the
phrase 'look at the source' may not be the best answer, but for emacs lisp,
even if you get a manual (and believe me, it is a tough job and only helped
by some very generous people), it is not nearly as helpful as snatching
already written code and putting it to your particular use with some
modifications.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

wang@wpi.wpi.edu (William S. Ang) (03/03/89)

In article <3283@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> templon@silver.UUCP (jeffrey templon) writes:
>Where does one get a manual for Emacs?  I saw a reference to one just a few
>msgs ago.  There is no documentation in the "man" facility.  In particular, I
>				Jeff Templon
>			templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

The complete Emacs manual is online in texinfo format. To read the
manual, type C-h i and follow direction thereafter.

                                William
                           wang@wpi.wpi.edu

root@.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (03/03/89)

Fascinating pehnomenon we see here all the time in comp.emacs...

From article <3283@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, by templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon):
> Where does one get a manual for Emacs?  I saw a reference to one just a few
> msgs ago.  There is no documentation in the "man" facility.  In particular, I
> would like to know more about key bindings and named functions, as well as
> about macros, how to write, build, and execute them.  And bind them to keys.

Which emacs did he mean? GNU-emacs? Gosmacs? Unipress? JOVE? MicroEmacs?
any one of the numerous other emacs variants (or deviants :-) ) ?

Somebody responded "use the help and info facilities" (good for UniPress
and GNU, but not for many of the others), and somebody else mentioned
some keys to hit (GNU specific)...

Please folks, when posting about anything where a term e.g. "emacs" is
SO generic, state which one you mean...
-------------
Jay Libove		jl42@andrew.cmu.edu, libove@cs.cmu.edu,
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	gateway.sei.cmu.edu!libove!libove, jl42@andrew.BITnet,
Pittsburgh, PA 15206	jl42@drycas.BITnet, psuvax1!pitt!darth!libove!libove,
(412) 362-8983		or uunet!nfsun!libove!libove

rene@ascom.uucp (Rene Bach) (03/15/89)

I am fairly new to the News and do not know how one can check older
messages about a given topic. At any rate, I have the following question:

What compatibility is there between Unipress Emacs and GNU Emacs libraries,
what about key bindings/ functionnalityz ?  Which one is recommended ?
Or is this a silly question ?

What about beefing up Emacs to be like the MIT Lisp Machine EMACS, the
best I have ever seen ??

Rene Bach
Switzerland