[comp.emacs] JOVE V.4.9 replies

lea362@estevax_a.UUCP (Hr Lea Iain ) (04/04/89)

  I recently posted a request for help concerning the JOVE (Ver. 4.9) editor. I
have collected  the mail that was  sent to  the  net  and  direct  to myself to
provide a brief summary to the questions i asked. Thanks to those who replyed
P.S. This is a long posting!!

    From: unido!mcvax!sun!jpayne (Jonathan Payne)

    Yeah, the documentation is messed up.  I should fix that.  Anyway, oh,
    and also you have a fairly old version.  It's pretty good but the latest
    is better, version 4.12.  Now, to read your macros back in you just say
	source <filename>
    the same way you can source a .joverc file.  So you can take those macros
    you wrote and put them in your .joverc if you want.

    From: unido!mcvax!sun!jpayne (Jonathan Payne)

    You can say "bind-to-key prefix-3 ^[[" and then you can say
	bind-to-key next-line [A
    or whatever the right sequence is.  In the latest version of JOVE you
    can create keymaps with names and bind keymaps to keys, and so basically
    handle arbitrary key sequences.  Unfortunately, they are not sparse
    keymaps, so, well they can be expensive.  That's on my list to fix.

    From: michaelk@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Michael D. Kersenbrock)

    >Jove will *only* accept two characters for any command, (i.e. ESC letter).
    >Since some terminals output "ESC [ A" for an arrow key,jove complains that

    Not true. I use Jove Version 4.9 (as I type this), and my .joverc contains:

    bind-to-key prefix-3 ^[[
    bind-to-key execute-named-command ^[[A
    bind-to-key apropos ^[[B
    bind-to-key pop-mark ^[[C
    bind-to-key next-window ^[[D
    bind-to-key scroll-left ^[[E
    bind-to-key scroll-right ^[[F
    etc
    and that works fine (on a "ansi" Tektronix 4105).

    From: "Charles Lindsey" <unido!ux.cs.man.ac.uk!charles>

    We use JOVE extensively here, but Version 4.6 I fixed various bugs in this,
    and I have implemented keybindings for a variety of terminals. However, I
    had to hack the code to implemenent Prefix-4, Prefix-5 (even Prefix-6 if I
    remember correctly) to handle the problem that you mention. Here is an
    example of what the VT100 keybinding looks like.

    Up  Down  Left  Right		 PF1	 PF2 	 PF3	 PF4
    (as expected)
	        			Beg of	Left	Right	End of
		        		LINE	WORD	WORD	LINE

           		 with ESC --->	Split	Switch	Enlarge	Kill
		         		WINDOW	WINDOW	WINDOW	Other WINDOW
    Numeric pad:			  7	  8	  9	  -
	        			YANK	COPY	KILL	Page
						Region	Region	DOWN

					  4	  5	  6	  ,
					SPELL	FILL	(spare)	Page
						Para		UP

					  1	  2	  3	ENTER
					List	Select	Find	  |
					BUFFERs	BUFFER	FILE	  |
								SHELL
					  --- 0 ---	  .	  |
					    COMMAND	OvrWT	  |
					    		Toggle

	Numeric pad, 	with ESC --->	7 (IC)	----	9 (DC)	-----
					Set	 	Exch
					MARK		. & m

					----	----	----	-----

					1 (IL)	----	3 (DL)	  |
					Insert		Delete	  |
					LINE		LINE	  |

					  ---------	-----	  |

    However, one of the jobs I have to do soon is to make a vt220 binding,
    which might be better for a Wyse. I doubt if our bindings would  work
    immediately on Version 4.9, but maybe I could send them if you are
    interested.

    From: unido!mcvax!sun!jpayne (Jonathan Payne)

    You could write a keyboard macro to make a copy of the word the cursor is
    on, and fire up the shell-command-with-typeout with that word (by yanking
    it into the buffer).

    From: unido!mcvax!sun!jpayne (Jonathan Payne)

    define-macro search-forward-and-split-window ^[xsearch-forward^M^[i^X2

    This prompts for a string, a different string everytime (because of the
    ^[i which makes the macro interactive) and then searches for it, and then
    splits the window.  A useless macro, but it makes its point.

|5)  I have been tinkering with word abbreviations and would like to
|    know if there is a limit to the number of abbreviations JOVE
|    can handle. I entered over 150 and when i saved the abbreviations
|    and later used some of them i found that only about 65-70 had
|    been saved. If there is a limit can it be changed ?

    That sounds like a bug to me!  If some of the abbrevs were the same as
    others, except maybe differing in case, that might explain the problem.

|  Iain Lea    |  "The right answer is the best answer.  |uunet!unido!estevax!|
|  ESTE362     |    The wrong answer is second-best.     |estevax_a!lea362    |
|  Siemens AG  |        No answer is the worst."         | Phone:             |
|  W. Germany  |                                         | 01049-9131-7-22215 |