[comp.emacs] Query: Interesting Applications of Emacs

salzman@randvax.UUCP (Isaac Salzman) (03/13/89)

Hello netland! Does anyone really use Emacs as a login shell? Do you have
any particularly interesting applications of Emacs? We all know that Emacs
is more than just an editor. Many people read their e-mail, netnews and do
all sorts of other things in Emacs.  Do you do anything unique and different
with Emacs? Is so, please reply to this message via direct e-mail to the
address below. Thanks!!

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

sethr@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) (03/14/89)

In article <1908@randvax.UUCP> salzman@rand.org (Isaac Salzman) writes:
>Hello netland! Does anyone really use Emacs as a login shell?
>* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----

If it wern't for ksh, I might actually do that IF emacs had job
control!!  When you can't suspend or background or even cancel(!) a
job, the shell mode isn't really usuable.

Of course if I just havn't RTFM (I have, though) and there is a way to
use job control, then please tell me.

						-Seth
						 seth@ctr.columbia.edu

In article <1296@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> seth@ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
>If it wern't for ksh, I might actually do that IF emacs had job
>control!!  When you can't suspend or background or even cancel(!) a
>job, the shell mode isn't really usuable.

All the special shell-mode commands are listed by C-h m (the command
to describe the current major mode) while in shell mode.  C-c C-c
kills the current job, C-c C-z suspends it, etc.  The standard
definitions of these have trouble when the jobs are setuid, though,
since they work by actually sending a signal.  I've got modified
versions that simply shove a C-c or C-z through the pty.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) (03/15/89)

In article <1296@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> seth@ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
|In article <1908@randvax.UUCP> salzman@rand.org (Isaac Salzman) writes:
|>Hello netland! Does anyone really use Emacs as a login shell?
|>* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
|
|If it wern't for ksh, I might actually do that IF emacs had job
|control!!  When you can't suspend or background or even cancel(!) a
|job, the shell mode isn't really usuable.
|
|Of course if I just havn't RTFM (I have, though) and there is a way to
|use job control, then please tell me.
+---------You asked:
	All the job control of the underlying shell is available; if
that shell is ksh or csh, then C-z, bg & fg all work ( albeit you'll
have to quote the C-z via C-q C-z, or use the Shell mode mapping of
"C-c C-z stop-shell-subjob". {from help on shell-mode} )

	Interrupt works for every shell I know of: either C-q C-c or
"C-c C-c interrupt-shell-subjob" {from help on shell-mode}

	This info, and helpful hints about any mode you are in is
available via C-h m.  C-h m should perhaps be used before you RTFM, as
it is a much more immediate and directed a form of help; it tells you
*NOW* about the mode you are in *NOW*.  R'ingTFM losses due to having
to find the FM, and having to find the pertinate information in the
FM.
	[ Note: C-h m means hit control H then m. ]

	Note also that there are further ksh'isms available for
shell.el that make things like C-c C-p scroll through your shell
history just like j or C-p do in ksh(1). If you want this, ask here
and someone will post this.

+---------------------------------

|						-Seth
|						 seth@ctr.columbia.edu
+---------------------------------

Michael McNamara
  mac@ardent.com

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (03/15/89)

In article <4599@ardent.UUCP> mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) writes:
>	Note also that there are further ksh'isms available for
>shell.el that make things like C-c C-p scroll through your shell
>history just like j or C-p do in ksh(1). If you want this, ask here
>and someone will post this.
>
>Michael McNamara
>  mac@ardent.com

This sounds very nice.  If it's short enough, I'd appreciate a posting.

- Steve Baumgarten
  cmcl2!esquire!sbb
  esquire!sbb@cmcl2.nyu.edu

mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) (03/16/89)

In article <1078@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
|In article <4599@ardent.UUCP> mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) writes:
|>	Note also that there are further ksh'isms available for
|>shell.el that make things like C-c C-p scroll through your shell
|>history just like j or C-p do in ksh(1). If you want this, ask here
|>and someone will post this.
|>
|>Michael McNamara
|>  mac@ardent.com
|
|This sounds very nice.  If it's short enough, I'd appreciate a posting.

|- Steve Baumgarten
|  cmcl2!esquire!sbb
|  esquire!sbb@cmcl2.nyu.edu

	I thought you would ask for the diffs...
M-x excuse-mode

	I recently changed jobs, and those mods didn't make it out of
the ashes of my failed ex-company...  I'm sure they're on a tape
somewhere, but I'd have to pry them loose from some rather cranky
creditors of the old company.  Of course, we do have that wonderful
content addressable medium, the Usenet...  Do any of you have the ksh
style enhancement to shell.el? Dave Sill? which one of the various
shell.el enhancements adds [kt]sh style command line history editing
to shell.el?

 (Steve; if someone sends you this, send me a copy also...)

_________________
Michael McNamara
  mac@ardent.com

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (03/16/89)

In article <1296@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, sethr@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
> In article <1908@randvax.UUCP> salzman@rand.org (Isaac Salzman) writes:
> >Hello netland! Does anyone really use Emacs as a login shell?
>
> If it wern't for ksh, I might actually do that IF emacs had job
> control!!  When you can't suspend or background or even cancel(!) a
> job, the shell mode isn't really usuable.
>
> Of course if I just havn't RTFM (I have, though) and there is a way to
> use job control, then please tell me.

GNU Emacs does allow job control in a shell, but I'm curious why this is
needed at all.  Job control, as far as I can see, is a hangover from the days
of one-window terminals.  Since Emacs gives you multiple windows, it's just
as easy, and far more natural, to use different windows for different jobs
you want running at the same time.  These jobs can be run as processes in
individual windows, or you can just start up a new shell and run each job in
its own shell with its own window.  I've never felt the need to do
complicated job management within a single shell window.

-- Ashwin.

warsaw@cme.nbs.gov (Barry A. Warsaw) (03/18/89)

In article <1078@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:

> In article <4599@ardent.UUCP> mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) writes:
>>	Note also that there are further ksh'isms available for
>>shell.el that make things like C-c C-p scroll through your shell
>>history just like j or C-p do in ksh(1). If you want this, ask here
>>and someone will post this.

>>Michael McNamara
>>  mac@ardent.com

> This sounds very nice.  If it's short enough, I'd appreciate a posting.

> - Steve Baumgarten

Yes, please post! I've been wanting a function to scroll through the
history in shell-mode but haven't been able to get around to hacking
on this (also hoping someone's already done it).

-B

gnulists@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (03/28/89)

In article <430@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>What is the difference between using pty's and using pipes for emacs
>subprocesses?

There are some programs that care whether they are being used
interactively or as part of a pipeline, using isatty() to check
whether the output is going to a terminal.  Shell mode uses a pty so
that they will know that they are being used interactively.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

In article <37506@think.UUCP>, barmar@think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
> In article <1296@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> seth@ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
> versions that simply shove a C-c or C-z through the pty.

What is the difference between using pty's and using pipes for emacs
subprocesses?
--
Dave Arnold			...!uunet!ccicpg!arnold!dave
Volt Delta Resources		dave@arnold.volt.com (714) 921-7635

rbj@dsys.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (04/13/89)

? From: Ashwin Ram <Ram-Ashwin@yale.arpa>

? GNU Emacs does allow job control in a shell, but I'm curious why this is
? needed at all.  Job control, as far as I can see, is a hangover from the days
? of one-window terminals.  Since Emacs gives you multiple windows, it's just
? as easy, and far more natural, to use different windows for different jobs
? you want running at the same time.  These jobs can be run as processes in
? individual windows, or you can just start up a new shell and run each job in
? its own shell with its own window.  I've never felt the need to do
? complicated job management within a single shell window.

? -- Ashwin.

As someone (Elz?) has already explained, job control is a useful feature
even in the presence of multiple windows. Consider a tar extract that is
running close to using all the available file space. You suspend it,
remove some files to free up space, and then resume it. I often run
multiple jobs that spit output to the shell, suspending each one
while starting up the next, then background them all.

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?