[comp.emacs] rmail and mbox

ix561@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (MONSTER) (04/13/89)

when I invoke rmail, it is supposed to copy mbox to RMAIL, but
in fact, it moves my mbox to RMAIL, changing its format from
UNIX one to Babyl one.  I'd like to use UNIX command mail -f
more often to read my old mails.  How can I solve this problem?

Wen

dpaulso@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (04/14/89)

Wen writes:

>when I invoke rmail, it is supposed to copy mbox to RMAIL, but
>in fact, it moves my mbox to RMAIL, changing its format from
>UNIX one to Babyl one.  I'd like to use UNIX command mail -f
>more often to read my old mails.  How can I solve this problem?

First, to correct a misconception:

From the manual: "Rmail first copies the new mail from the inbox file
to the Rmail file; then it save the Rmail file; then it deletes the
inbox file."   The effect is the same as a move.

Now, `M-x apropos inbox' reveals:

[...]
rmail-primary-inbox-list
  Variable: *List of files which are inboxes for user's primary mail file ~/RMAIL.
[...]

then, `C-h v rmail-primary-inbox-list' reveals:

rmail-primary-inbox-list's value is nil

Documentation:
*List of files which are inboxes for user's primary mail file ~/RMAIL.
`nil' means the default, which is ("~/mbox" "/usr/spool/mail/$USER")
(the second name varies depending on the operating system).

so you should try using `M-x set-variable' to alter
the current setting of your rmail-primary-inbox-list

/dave

[BTW, I'm using GnuEmacs 18.52]

---
Dave Paulson	dpaulso@relay.nswc.navy.mil	(703)663-2137
"I've upped my standards; now up yours" -- Pat Paulsen

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (04/14/89)

In article <4358@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU> ix561@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (MONSTER) writes:
>when I invoke rmail, it is supposed to copy mbox to RMAIL, but
>in fact, it moves my mbox to RMAIL, changing its format from
>UNIX one to Babyl one.

That's exactly what it's supposed to do.

>I'd like to use UNIX command mail -f
>more often to read my old mails.  How can I solve this problem?

Why not read your old mail in RMAIL mode using "p" (previous letter)?
As long as you don't delete things from RMAIL they will still be there.

>Wen

|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>