[comp.emacs] Problem with mh-e

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (04/12/89)

I'm using the mh-e library with GNU Emacs 18.53 and MH 6.6.  Quite
often, a message that I send with mh-e is not delivered.  It doesn't
give me any indication that there has been an error, except that

- if I try to exit Emacs, it asks "Subprocesses are executing; kill
  them and exit?"

- if I try to send another message with mh-e in the same session, it
  tells me that the draft buffer still exists, and it contains the
  text of the unsent message.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem, and how to fix
it?  It does not seem to be reproducible, except by waiting for it to
happen.
--

Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University

murthy@awamore.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (04/12/89)

In article <WEENING.89Apr11140142@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU> weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) writes:
>I'm using the mh-e library with GNU Emacs 18.53 and MH 6.6.  Quite
>often, a message that I send with mh-e is not delivered.  It doesn't
>give me any indication that there has been an error, except that
>
>- if I try to exit Emacs, it asks "Subprocesses are executing; kill
>  them and exit?"
>
>- if I try to send another message with mh-e in the same session, it
>  tells me that the draft buffer still exists, and it contains the
>  text of the unsent message.

It happens, I think, because MH tries to verify the existence of the remote
host before it spools the letter into sendmail.  If the remote host is not
responding, or the nameserver is slow responding, MH can take a while,
or never return.  I don't know that this _is_ the problem - but if you start
suffixing your mail addresses with a local host, the problem seems to go
away.

Anybody out there who can this?  And dsuggest a possible fix?

	--chet--
	murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu

pinkas@hobbit.intel.com (Israel Pinkas ~) (04/14/89)

Joe Weening writes:

> I'm using the mh-e library with GNU Emacs 18.53 and MH 6.6.  Quite
> often, a message that I send with mh-e is not delivered.  It doesn't
> give me any indication that there has been an error, except that
>
> - if I try to exit Emacs, it asks "Subprocesses are executing; kill
>   them and exit?"

The MH-E package uses the MH send program to deliver messaegs.  The above
message is Emacs' way of telling you that one of the subprocesses that you
started up during this session is still running.  If you answer yes, Emacs
will kill the process.  In the case of send, this means that delivery will
be aborted.

The solution is to answer no and try again in a few seconds.  If Emacs
exits, send is done.

'M-x list-processes' will show you all the active subprocesses.  You can
use this to determine if send is done.

> - if I try to send another message with mh-e in the same session, it
>   tells me that the draft buffer still exists, and it contains the
>   text of the unsent message.

This is the same problem.  This happens when you try to send a message when
send is still running.  The draft buffer is kept around until send exits.
The message is telling you that you already have a draft buffer.

One thing to do is to wait for the draft buffer to go away.  This is the
same the previous problem.

The other solution is to use MH's draft folder facility.  You can accomlish
this by putting the following line in you .mh_profile:

draft-folder: drafts

The create a folder called drafts.  MH (and MH-E) will create draft
messages in this folder.  They will be numbered, just like messages in any
other folder.  The advantage here is that MH provides the support for
multiple drafts simultaneously.

-Israel Pinkas
--
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@cadev4.intel.com