[comp.emacs] termcap

sergio@techunix.BITNET (Sergio Fogel) (12/16/88)

I want to adapt GNU emacs for hebrew editing. However, I have a problem.
I don't want to change the C source of emacs, and emacs-lisp does not
seem to have a way of using new terminal capabilities. (The terminals
that we use have at least two more capabilities: switch to hebrew and
switch to right-to-left)
  The other way would be of course, to write the escape sequence.
Again, I cannot figure out a way of writing an escape sequence directly
to the terminal (even if I run a shell program, the output will go
to a buffer).

  That was the first problem. The second one is how can I write characters
that have the eighth bit on without getting something like \514 on the
screen.

  If someone can help me , maybe we can internationalize emacs and beat
vih (vi for hebrew)

  Sergio Fogel
  Computer Science Dept.
  Technion.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (12/16/88)

In article <6693@techunix.BITNET>, sergio@techunix (Sergio Fogel) writes:
>I want to adapt GNU emacs for hebrew editing. [...]
>  The other way would be of course, to write the escape sequence.
>Again, I cannot figure out a way of writing an escape sequence directly
>to the terminal (even if I run a shell program, the output will go
>to a buffer).

You want send-string-to-terminal:

  Send STRING to the terminal without alteration.
  Control characters in STRING will have terminal-dependent effects.

>  That was the first problem. The second one is how can I write characters
>that have the eighth bit on without getting something like \514 on the
>screen.

The list went around on this one a while back.  Maybe someone has a
terse summary of the discussion?  This is part of a very hard problem,
and the C standards groups is working towards capturing character-set
properties for non-English properly (think about toupper(),
isletter(), etc.).
--

/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

derrell@retix.retix.retix.com (Derrell Lipman) (12/27/88)

> I don't want to change the C source of emacs, and emacs-lisp does not
> seem to have a way of using new terminal capabilities. (The terminals
> that we use have at least two more capabilities: switch to hebrew and
> switch to right-to-left)

try this for a non-terminal-independent solution:

  (send-string-to-terminal "this string \007 gets sent with \007 bells")
--

--derrell    (derrell@retix)

Radar services terminated.  Squawk 1200.  Frequency change approved.

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (04/14/89)

In article <13592@steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  For someone on one machine, who is root, changing termcaps is just
>fine. When running on a number of machines for which you may not have
>permission to change the /etc/termcap file, and when you have two years
>of accumulated emacs macros, you would like to not reinvent the world.

setenv TERMCAP /my/termcap/file
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>