[comp.emacs] Problem compiling uemacs310

tree@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Tom Emerson) (04/16/89)

I have been having some problems "make"ing uemacs310 on a Sun 3/260 running
sunOS 4.0.1.  I get the following errors from the compiler:

"bind.c", line 14: warning: undeclared initializer name f
"bind.c", line 14: warning: undeclared initializer name n
"bind.c", line 17: warning: illegal combination of pointer and integer, op =
"bind.c", line 17: illegal initialization
"bind.c", line 17: cannot recover from earlier errors: goodbye!
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bind.o'

HELP!  I am not a C person.

Thanks.

Tom

| The other Shaltanac's joopleberry        |                           |
| shrub is always a more mauvy             | Tom Emerson               |
| shade of pinky russet.                   | tree@sun.soe.clarkson.edu |
|   -- From the Hitchikers Radio Scripts   |                           |

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (04/16/89)

In article <2853@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> tree@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:
>I have been having some problems "make"ing uemacs310 on a Sun 3/260 running
>sunOS 4.0.1.  I get the following errors from the compiler:
>
>"bind.c", line 14: warning: undeclared initializer name f
>"bind.c", line 14: warning: undeclared initializer name n
>"bind.c", line 17: warning: illegal combination of pointer and integer, op =
>"bind.c", line 17: illegal initialization
>"bind.c", line 17: cannot recover from earlier errors: goodbye!
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bind.o'
>
>HELP!  I am not a C person.

It so happens I've seen this exact problem.

First of all, make sure that you have correctly set up the file
estruct.h to reflect the type of operating system, etc that you are
using. You must #define one operating system to be "1" and the rest
"0". This file also determines the type of compiler, output and input
methods (use TERMCAP for suns), and some other options. Also, in this
file, make sure the option for COLOR is turned OFF (0) or the mode
line won't be in inverse video.

If this doesn't solve your problem, go into the file epath.h and look
for a line of the form

	#ifdef ... || BSD || USG

(look for the #ifdef statement with USG in it)

and add

	|| 1

to the end of it. If you don't know C I can't explain to you why this
will work, but the basic idea is that the file epath.h does not take
every possible operating system into consideration.

Yes, this will solve your problems compiling bind.c (believe me!)

If you have further problems do send email.

|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>