[comp.emacs] ftp-find-file

rbj@CMR.ICST.NBS.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (07/19/88)

? I'm having a problem transfering a file using ft-find-file and I think
? it's because the file in question is a binary file.  Specifically, it
? is a file that's been 'compressed'.  I think that if I were using
? 'real' ftp, that I could just turn on binary mode and everything would
? be ok.
?
? Is there some way to get ftp-find-file to use binary mode?

Good point. As a matter of fact, I would argue for *always* using binary mode.

? advTHANKSance
? -=-
?  Marc Sarrel, Department of Computer and Information Science
?  The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277
?  sarrel@cis.ohio-state.edu
?  "If you wanna have fun, go to Washington.  Spokane!"  -- Cleric Apton

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!
	I demand IMPUNITY!

MAP@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Michael A. Patton") (07/20/88)

(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell <rbj@icst-cmr.arpa> says:
    Good point. As a matter of fact, I would argue for *always* using
    binary mode.

This is a VERY BAD idea.  The machine I usually ftp-find-file from
(and many others) does not store text in the same way UNIX does.
Fixing such differences is exactly what the FTP text (or netascii if
you insist) mode is for, don't defeat the purpose of a well thought
out protocol!  I'm not sure why you want to read non-textual
information into an Emacs buffer, but don't force the rest of us to!
Text mode transfers is certainly the right default for Emacs to use, I
doubt if 1% of the usage of Emacs is for non-textual data.

rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (07/20/88)

? (Root Boy) Jim Cottrell <rbj@icst-cmr.arpa> says:
?     Good point. As a matter of fact, I would argue for *always* using
?     binary mode.
?
? This is a VERY BAD idea.  The machine I usually ftp-find-file from
? (and many others) does not store text in the same way UNIX does.
? Fixing such differences is exactly what the FTP text (or netascii if
? you insist) mode is for, don't defeat the purpose of a well thought
? out protocol!  I'm not sure why you want to read non-textual
? information into an Emacs buffer, but don't force the rest of us to!
? Text mode transfers is certainly the right default for Emacs to use, I
? doubt if 1% of the usage of Emacs is for non-textual data.

OK, I'll back off on that. And I agree that rarely will one ftp-find
binary files. But for people who do, how about this: C-u M-x ftp-find-file
will turn on binary mode, without C-u do regular text mode. Same for
ftp-write-file. Everybody satisfied?

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!
I selected E5...  but I didn't hear ``Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs''!

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (07/22/88)

>? This is a VERY BAD idea.  The machine I usually ftp-find-file from
>? (and many others) does not store text in the same way UNIX does.

>OK, I'll back off on that. And I agree that rarely will one ftp-find
>binary files. But for people who do, how about this: C-u M-x ftp-find-file
>will turn on binary mode, without C-u do regular text mode. Same for
>ftp-write-file. Everybody satisfied?
>	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>

It would be more clear, ie self documenting as ftp-find-file-ascii and
ftp-find-file-binary.  Both of these can call ftp-find-file but with a
different option for binary-mode.
	Charles Brown		hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (05/10/89)

Sorry to post this but mail bounced.  Our mailer puked all over the
extended bang path, I tried to make it a single hop ...%...@... path
and that failed too.  I will be very happy when UUCP finally goes away.

ld kelly wrote me with a problem he is having with ftp-find-file.
This is my mailed reply.

To: ldk%punjab@shamash.cdc.com (ld kelley x-2046)
Subject: Re: running vi inside GNU emacs

Hmm ...  I wish I could see your problem in action.

Normally the sequence goes like this (you can try it as an example).

M-x ftp-find-file
pawl.rpi.edu:pub/unixpub.lst
anonymous
ldk@shmash.cdc.com

FTP will give you a message that it is starting the process and
connecting to the machine.  When it opens the file for reading it will
give another message.  If the file is successfully opened then it will
tell you that it is retrieving it in the background.  (Very useful for
large files.)  Finally another message will appear when it closes the
file and the connexion.  There should be two buffers created by this
process, one named *ftp log* and the other which includes the name of
the file you found and "(ftp)" (or something, I forget).  The former
will hold statistics about the transfer and any messages ftp gave.
The latter should have your file in it.

Now, if I understand you correctly, you tried this and it doesn't
work, eh?  Could you try the above and get back to me if it doesn't
work?

Dave

PS: your machine does support ftp, ne?  If it does (which means you
have TCP/IP) could you work up a good mailing address to you that
skips UUCP altogether?

--
      tale@rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu, tale@pawl.rpi.edu