[comp.emacs] Getting Gnu Emacs to run on DECstation

ttung@td2cad.intel.com (Thye-Lai Tung) (05/03/89)

    Does anyone know how to get Gnu Emacs working on DECstation 3100 ?
This machine uses a RISC chip made by MIPS. I have tried using m-mips.h as
the machine configuration file, but the xmakefile file created by make does
not look like something for Ultrix. Any suggestions ? I am using version
18.53.

- Thye-Lai Tung			(408) 765-0347
  Intel Corporation, SC9-35
  Santa Clara, CA.

mikem+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Michael Meyer) (05/05/89)

1) Get the latest gnu-emacs (18.54) it works better on the decstation.
2) On DEC's unsupported products tape  you will find verion 18.52 of Gnu
emacs.  Look at the m-mips.h file and unexmips.c file and add them to
emacs 18.54.

Then compile and go.
                            Michael M. Meyer
                      Statistics/Academic Computing
                       Carnegie Mellon University.

flanagan@iving.cs.cornell.edu (Doug Flanagan) (05/11/89)

In article <EYMPrqy00VRU05gVgL@andrew.cmu.edu> mikem+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Michael Meyer) writes:
>1) Get the latest gnu-emacs (18.54) it works better on the decstation.
>2) On DEC's unsupported products tape  you will find verion 18.52 of Gnu
>emacs.  Look at the m-mips.h file and unexmips.c file and add them to
>emacs 18.54.
>
>Then compile and go.

We have done this but there seems to be a problem with query-replace acting
flakey when the emacs is used under X on the console. (It seems to work fine
if you login to the DECstation via a shelltool window from a Sun3.)
When the cursor is at an occurence of the string you are searching for and
you type "y" to confirm the replace action, nothing happens, or maybe it
will after a few y's. Space bar can act like this too. Sometimes it causes
the machine to beep at you. Anyone else seen this sort of thing? Thanks.

-Doug Flanagan
 Cornell CS Dept.
 flanagan@cs.cornell.edu

jeff@visix.UUCP (Jeff Barr) (05/11/89)

In article <27694@cornell.UUCP>, flanagan@iving.cs.cornell.edu (Doug Flanagan) writes:

> We have done this but there seems to be a problem with query-replace acting
> flakey when the emacs is used under X on the console.
> the machine to beep at you. Anyone else seen this sort of thing? Thanks.
			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have this problem on my 3100.  isearch-forward exhibits the same behavior.
Reverse search (isearch- backward) works fine.

A related (I think) problem is that after typing (say) Meta-X, following
characters are taken as control characters even though they weren't typed
that way!!!! I call this feature 'Compose-mode' because it can be gotten
out of by pressing the Compose key again.

Ideas, anyone?

							Jeff

  /\       Jeff Barr   \    / Visix Software, Inc.  /\  800-832-8668 \    /
 /  \  uunet!visix!jeff \  /   1525 Wilson Blvd.   /  \ 703-841-5858  \  /
/    \                   \/   Arlington, VA 22209 /    \               \/
"A MIMD is a terrible thing to waste."