[comp.emacs] Jove

news@jpusa1.UUCP (usenet) (07/13/87)

Expires:

In article <2850@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
-As quoted from <977@cognos.UUCP> by jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson):
-+---------------
-| If people are interested I can assemble diff listings to post (I
-| haven't seen much discussion about JOVE lately, even though we use it
-| a lot).

This seems to be the place for now.  Let's get the bugs fixed.  I use an older version
of jove that's been hacked to use pipes for sysv.  Does anyone have the newer jove working
with pipes so you can run a process in a window?  If so, how about sending the diffs to
comp.sources.misc.  Brandon, how about posting your fixes?

Stu Heiss {gargoyle,ihnp4}!jpusa1!stu

jpayne@rochester.arpa (Jonathan Payne) (07/15/87)

Okay, it's about time I got around to distributing JOVE again.  Since
I distributed it to mod.sources a while ago (months!) I have received
and fixed all the bug that were reported, and made a few enhancements
of my own.  TONIGHT I will get the diffs together and mail them out
and/or I will get started with making a whole new distribution.  Is
it generally agreeable to send everything to mod.sources?

BTW, the bugs mentioned in the recent articles have been fixed...

wagner@iaoobelix.UUCP (09/12/87)

Jove is available from one of the archive sites (for a list of
those, see Rich $alz's most recent info in comp.sources.unix).
You should be able to FTP the sources from one of these hosts.

Juergen Wagner,		     (USENET) ...seismo!unido!iaoobel!wagner
("Gandalf")			 Fraunhofer Institute IAO, Stuttgart

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (09/24/87)

Speaking of Jove:  the upgrade kit sent out on comp.sources.unix wants a file
called "argcount.c", which doesn't seem to have come with the kit.  Did I
do something wrong, or is the kit missing parts, or did someone slip, or ???

Thanks in advance.
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

las@msudoc.UUCP (11/18/87)

I've finally gotten Jove to compile under SCO XENIX/286 2.2 with
the last set of patches posted to the net, however, ...  when it comes
up it prints a half line of capital G's and rings the bell, gives the
error message "line too long" on the status line and then freezes.
Anyone had a similar problem and know the solution?  Also does anyone
know what the value Of L_SET in file fp.c should be?  I take it it
should be 0, 1, or 2.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

thanks,

==larry

---------------------------
LARRY SHIELDS                        UUCP: ...!ihnp4!msudoc!lunapark!larry
P.O. Box 6159                        BIX:  lshields
E. Lansing, MI 48826                 Compuserve: 70277, 3677

BBS: lunapark 1200/2400 8-1-N  24hrs 7 days a week  (517) 337-3844 login: bbs

xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler) (01/19/88)

What is the latest version of Jove? Does anyone have a copy for
ftp'ing?

					Xev Gittler
					xev@hstbme.mit.edu, or
					xev@athena.mit.edu

jpayne@cs.rochester.edu (Jonathan Payne) (01/19/88)

In article <2346@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler) writes:

>What is the latest version of Jove? Does anyone have a copy for
>ftp'ing?
>
>					Xev Gittler
>					xev@hstbme.mit.edu, or
>					xev@athena.mit.edu

The latest version of JOVE is 4.8b, fresh off the press today.  It's
available via ftp on cs.rochester.edu.  Login to anonymous and get file
public/jove.tar.4.8b.  Don't be alarmed if you try doing a dir from ftp
and it prints nothing - there is something wrong with that command.  But
it's there.

This version has some bug fixes, new commands, and the IBM PC code is
written for MSC 5.0.  Version 4.9 of JOVE will be coming out in a few
weeks, and it should run on the Macintosh.

cooper@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Kenneth B Cooper) (01/23/88)

Will the mac version be mac II compatible?

Ken Cooper
cooper@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

conway@hpdtl.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) (12/02/88)

/ hpdtl:comp.emacs / mike@wucs1.wustl.edu (Mike Ehlers) / 12:54 pm  Nov 28, 1988 /
> My .signature seems to have been left off my request for information about
> the availability of JOVE source via anonymous ftp.  Any information about
> its availability welcomed.

"I see no .signature here" (either)

lea362@estevax_a.UUCP (Hr Lea Iain ) (03/01/89)

  I have been using and evaluating the JOVE (Ver. 4.9) editor  for
the last few weeks on a Xenix 386 PC and a Vax DSD4.3 and am quite
pleased with the product.

  But i have a few questions to ask concerning a few of the commands :

  1)  I have defined, named and saved to a file a few keyboard macros
      (no problem), but when i try to  read the  macros from the file
      there is no command to do it. The manual states that the command
      read-macros-from-file should be used, but it does not seem to be
      implemented. Is this command implemented or is there an error
      between the product and its manual ?

  2)  On the Vax i have a Wyse wy85  terminal set to  emulate a vt100.
      I have  tried to  configure  the keyboard to my tastes and  have
      been less than successful. I have tried to bind-to-key commands
      with the numeric keypad and also the four cursor keys. In respect
      to the cursor keys i have been able to use the Prefix-3 command
      in my .joverc file at startup. The problem as far as i can tell
      is that the keypad and cursor keys seem to generate a 3 byte code
      instead of the normal 2 byte code. Has any one an idea how i can
      use the keypad, cursor keys and function keys to execute commands ?

  3)  I wish to have a form of programming on-line help available. I
      have created a text file of the most popular 'C' commands i.e.

        int  ferror(stream);    FILE *stream

      and wish to be able to view a specified commands syntax easily.
      The simple way to do this is to use shell-command-with-typeout
      and then 'grep <command name> helpfile'. Considering that on-line
      help should be quick and easy to access the outlined solution
      has fallen short in both respects. I would like to be able to
      activate a help macro (or whatever solution) by just selecting
      the word that the cursor (point) is on i.e. cursor is in the
      middle of the word 'read(' and it would list all the correct
      syntax for the 'C' command 'read'. Any suggestions ?

  4)  Has anyone written any interactive macros that use the command
      make-macro-interactive. If so could you please post or mail an
      example(s).

  5)  I have been tinkering with word abbreviations and would like to
      know if there is a limit to the number of abbreviations JOVE
      can handle. I entered over 150 and when i saved the abbreviations
      and later used some of them i found that only about 65-70 had
      been saved. If there is a limit can it be changed ?

and finally !!

  6)  Has anyone used JOVE with the Clipper compiler (Dbase compatiable)
      and written any routines or macros to speed up & ease the
      development of large programs. Also has anyone written a 'tags'
      generator for the Dbase/Clipper language. Last but not least has
      anyone converted the error messages from the clipper compiler to
      a form usable by the next-error / previous-error commands ?

  Any tips, code examples (macros & C) would be much appreciated.

|  Iain Lea    |  "The right answer is the best answer.  |uunet!unido!estevax!|
|  ESTE362     |    The wrong answer is second-best.     |estevax_a!lea362    |
|  Siemens AG  |        No answer is the worst."         | Phone:             |
|  W. Germany  |                                         |  01049-9131-722215 |

arc1@ukc.ac.uk (A.R.Curtis) (03/03/89)

In article <136@estevax_a.UUCP> lea362@estevax_a.UUCP (Hr Lea Iain ) writes:
>  1)  I have defined, named and saved to a file a few keyboard macros
>      (no problem), but when i try to  read the  macros from the file
>      there is no command to do it.

If you look at the on-line description of write-macros-to-file it
says you can read them back in like you do for named commands, i.e.
SOURCE.

>      instead of the normal 2 byte code. Has any one an idea how i can
>      use the keypad, cursor keys and function keys to execute commands ?

What you probably are referring to is the ansi-codes function. Try
binding as follows (taken from my .joverc)

bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[O
bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[[

Then use describe-command to find out what each of the function and
cursor keys generate if you're not sure, and then you can bind them
how you want (wyse85's are nice...)

>      activate a help macro (or whatever solution) by just selecting
>      the word that the cursor (point) is on i.e. cursor is in the
>      middle of the word 'read(' and it would list all the correct

Don't think this can be done actually. It can be (and is) in
GNU-Emacs but that's because the programmability allows it. JOVE (to
my knowledge, but there again I occasionally discover something
new and useful) hasn't got these read-from-buffer type thingies. I
fit has please let me/everyone know.

>  4)  Has anyone written any interactive macros that use the command
>      make-macro-interactive. If so could you please post or mail an
>      example(s).

I haven't

>  5)  I have been tinkering with word abbreviations and would like to
>      know if there is a limit to the number of abbreviations JOVE
>      can handle. I entered over 150 and when i saved the abbreviations
>      and later used some of them i found that only about 65-70 had
>      been saved. If there is a limit can it be changed ?

I don't know what the limit (if any) is. If you have the source code
you could probably work it out.

>and finally !!
>
>  6)  Has anyone used JOVE with the Clipper compiler (Dbase compatiable)
>      and written any routines or macros to speed up & ease the
>      development of large programs. Also has anyone written a 'tags'
>      generator for the Dbase/Clipper language. Last but not least has
>      anyone converted the error messages from the clipper compiler to
>      a form usable by the next-error / previous-error commands ?

You can set the variable error-format-string to be a regexp denoting
an error string in the compile window (well, that's normally where
to look for errors with {next,previous}-error)

Hope that helps somewhat

Tony
Tony Curtis, Computing Lab.                | Phone 0227 764000
Univ. Kent at Canterbury                   |                Ext. 3812 or 7617
Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NF                   | arc1@uk.ac.ukc

rkxyv@mergvax (Rob Kedoin) (03/06/89)

To get the arrow keys on the WY85 (and vt100 type terminal) to work:
	set ansi-codes ESC [

This binds the arrow keys to previous-line, next-line, forward-char, and
backward-char.  (hmmm...I just noticed something odd.  I have this set in
the system-wide joverc as ESC O.)

Anyway, the jove manual specifies ESC [.  ESC O (oh) seems to be working
fine for me.

Hope this helps.
		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:   {cpmain.ces.com,icus.islp.ny.us,motown.allied.com}!mergvax!rkxyv
ARPA:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@uunet.uu.net
SNAIL-mail: Linotype Company - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE: (516) 434 - 2729

jhc@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (03/09/89)

In article <12524@vaxnix.UUCP> ron@vaxnix.UUCP (Ron Light) writes:
>In article <137@estevax_a.UUCP> lea362@estevax_a.UUCP (Hr Lea Iain ) writes:
>:
>:  I have been using and evaluating the JOVE (Ver. 4.9) editor  for
>:the last few weeks on a Xenix 386 PC and a Vax DSD4.3 and am quite
>:pleased with the product.
>:
>:  2)  On the Vax i have a Wyse wy85  terminal set to  emulate a vt100.
>:      I have  tried to  configure  the keyboard to my tastes and  have
>:      been less than successful. I have tried to bind-to-key commands
>:      with the numeric keypad and also the four cursor keys. In respect
>:      to the cursor keys i have been able to use the Prefix-3 command
>:      in my .joverc file at startup. The problem as far as i can tell
>:      is that the keypad and cursor keys seem to generate a 3 byte code
>:      instead of the normal 2 byte code. Has any one an idea how i can
>:      use the keypad, cursor keys and function keys to execute commands ?
>
>Jove will *only* accept two characters for any command, (i.e. ESC letter).
>Since some terminals output "ESC [ A" for an arrow key, jove complains that
>ESC [ is not bound and then inserts the A as text.  What you'll have to do
>is to hack jove to bind ESC [ to go off to a (you build it) function that
>will get the next letter and move the cursor based on that letter.  This
>will make your version HIGHLY terminal dependent, but at least the arrow
>keys will work.  Other terminals that have a problem are ones that output
>the arrow keys as "DEL letter"

Or, you could always get version 4.12 of JOVE (cs.rochester.edu has it
available for anon ftp) which has a new set of functions that allow creation
of key-maps, which can be bound to any key.  Thus, you create a keymap, bind
it to ^[[, and then bind functions and/or macros to the characters in that
keymap; ie bind-to-key next-line ^[[B.  Remember, though, JOVE puts ansi
type terminals in application mode, so that the numeric keyboard can be used
for functions if you wish.  Versions 4.9 and earlier only supported the
arrow keys (bind-to-key ansi-codes ^[O was needed to activate this); with
user defineable keymaps.  Now, you need to bind you keymap to (for ansi
terms) ^[[ and ^[O and then bind previous-line, next-line, forward-char &
backward-char to both \^\[\[[A-D] and \^\[O[A-D] (using regular
expressions). Then bind the functions you want the numeric keypad to produce
to ^[O*, where * is the letter corresponding to that key, such as m for
ENTER.  Oh, and the functions you bind to the PF keys should also be bound
to both ^[[* and ^[O*.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.          "Entropy isn't what it used to be."
jhc@Crnlvax5.BITNET            --c/o Fortune @ batcomputer.UUCP

michaelk@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Michael D. Kersenbrock) (03/10/89)

<>:
<>:  2)  On the Vax i have a Wyse wy85  terminal set to  emulate a vt100.
<>:      I have  tried to  configure  the keyboard to my tastes and  have
<>:      been less than successful. I have tried to bind-to-key commands
<>:      with the numeric keypad and also the four cursor keys. In respect
<>:      to the cursor keys i have been able to use the Prefix-3 command
<>:      in my .joverc file at startup. The problem as far as i can tell
<>:      is that the keypad and cursor keys seem to generate a 3 byte code
<>:      instead of the normal 2 byte code. Has any one an idea how i can
<>:      use the keypad, cursor keys and function keys to execute commands ?
<>
<>Jove will *only* accept two characters for any command, (i.e. ESC letter).
<>Since some terminals output "ESC [ A" for an arrow key, jove complains that

Not true.  I use Jove Version 4.9 (as I type this) , and my .joverc contains:

bind-to-key prefix-3 ^[[
bind-to-key execute-named-command ^[[A
bind-to-key apropos ^[[B
bind-to-key pop-mark ^[[C
bind-to-key next-window ^[[D
bind-to-key scroll-left ^[[E
bind-to-key scroll-right ^[[F
 .
 .
 .
etc

and that works fine (on a "ansi" Tektronix 4105).
--
Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Microcomputer Development Products

kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) (05/12/89)

I am having trouble binding the up and down line fucntions to the up and
down arrow keys of my vt220 keyboard.  The system is a DEC running 4.3
(?) bsd.

The problem is when I attempt to rebind these fcns to the arrow keys
subsequent use of the arrow keys causes an extra character to be added
to the edited text.  The fcn works up,down,... but the extra character
makes their use ....  useless..

I have found a file called emacs.ky/s in the library but don't know how
to interpret it.  Is their some one out there who has solved a similar
problem??  Also, if that wasn't enough, is there a way to use the rest
of the vt220 keyboard with emacs ???

Thanks, for any help, in advance...

Kevin T.

kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (05/17/89)

In article <926@neptune.AMD.COM> kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) writes:
 > I am having trouble binding the up and down line fucntions to the up and
 > down arrow keys of my vt220 keyboard.  The system is a DEC running 4.3
 > (?) bsd.

I used to battle to make the arrow keys work on the terminals that I
used.  Several terminals types later I gave up and considered the lesson
learned.  Save yourself some grief and get used to using C-n and C-p.
In fact avoid function keys altogether.  You might even want to consider
not using the ESC key either (type C-[ instead).  Considering where ESC
is on a vt200 you'll probably be better off.

kyle jones   <kjones@talos.UUCP>   ...!uunet!talos!kjones
"The only good cat is a stir-fried cat." -- Alf