[comp.emacs] Multi Window Emacs on X11

Krulwich-Bruce@cs.yale.edu (Bruce Krulwich) (05/17/89)

In article <8905161534.AA20897@aurora.franz.uucp>, jim@franz writes:
>I know of a version of Multi Window Gnu Emacs which is titled "18.mw.232".
>(It's from MCC & runs on both X10 & X11).  Has anyone ported this to a more
>up to date version of Emacs (e.g. we currently use 18.50.76)?  Please let me
>know.  Please reply direct as I don't normally read this mailing group.

Does anyone have any information about Multi Window EMACS at all (ie, any
version)??  I've been wondering for a few years now why this hasn't been done,
and am interested in knowing the details even if its an old version I wouldn't
want to use.

Bruce Krulwich

dsill@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (05/17/89)

I believe the semimythical GNU Emacs version 19 has/will support
multiple X windows.  I don't remember where I read that, and I'm not
sure exactly what features will be provided.

-Dave (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

barnes@venezia.nsc.com (Tim Barnes) (05/18/89)

In article <60784@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Krulwich-Bruce@cs.yale.edu
(Bruce Krulwich) writes:

   Does anyone have any information about Multi Window EMACS at all
   (ie, any version)??  I've been wondering for a few years now why
   this hasn't been done, and am interested in knowing the details
   even if its an old version I wouldn't want to use.

The emacs which came with Lucid Common Lisp's window system (maybe it
still does) used to open separate screen windows for each emacs
window.  I didn't like it very much, because I found that I always
wanted the windows tiled (otherwise I wouldn't have opened a new
window, as opposed to creating a new buffer).  I found myself doing a
lot of window size and shape manipulation, which was a nuisance.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to have multiple real windows, but
have them managed together in some way, so that you could move them as
one, and resize them either independently or together.

--
    /               /                     National Semiconductor Corporation
  -/- o            /__  ___  __  ___  ___  ___              Santa Clara, CA