[comp.emacs] Basic questions about emacs

kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) (06/01/89)

I have a few rather basic questions about GNU Emacs, and I hope some
of the knowledgeable people who seem to frequent this group can help
me out:

1.  Whenever point attempts to move out of the window area, an
implicit "recenter" is performed.  In other words, I can't scroll
line-by-line.  Is there some way to achieve this?

2.  An argument to "scroll-up" or "scroll-down" does not move the text
by that many screenfuls, but rather moves it by lines.  How can one get
the former behavior?

3.  Does some site maintain comp.emacs archives?

4.  I tried to bind a key to a function in mail mode.  I thought of
using mail-mode-hook, but the keymap is generated *after* the hook is
run.  Thus, the only way seems to be to have a personal mail-mode(),
and define the key at its end.  Am I correct?

5.  Is there a method to convert an entire Babyl file to Unix format?

Thanks for any replies..
--
Govind N. Kamat				College of Engineering
kamat@uceng.UC.EDU			University of Cincinnati

raulmill@aludra.usc.edu (Raul) (06/04/89)

In article <1112@uceng.UC.EDU> kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) writes:
>I have a few rather basic questions about GNU Emacs, ...

Well, I don't see any followups to this yet, so I suppose I ought to
give this a shot.

>1.  Whenever point attempts to move out of the window area, an
>implicit "recenter" is performed.  In other words, I can't scroll
>line-by-line.  Is there some way to achieve this?

The variable scroll-step controls this.  If you move the point more
lines out of the window than this value, the window is recentered.
Normally, this variable is set to 0.  Enough said??

>2.  An argument to "scroll-up" or "scroll-down" does not move the text
>by that many screenfuls, but rather moves it by lines.  How can one get
>the former behavior?

I suppose you could write your own elisp function and bind it to the
keys in place of scroll-up and scroll-down.  For example:

(defun my-scroll-up (arg)
  "like scroll-up, but scrolls by whole screens with numeric argument"
  (interactive "P")
  (if (null arg) (scroll-up nil)
    (scroll-up (* arg (- (window-height) 2)))))

(global-set-key "\C-V" 'my-scroll-up)

>3.  Does some site maintain comp.emacs archives?

dunno.

>4.  I tried to bind a key to a function in mail mode.  I thought of
>using mail-mode-hook, but the keymap is generated *after* the hook is
>run.  Thus, the only way seems to be to have a personal mail-mode(),
>and define the key at its end.  Am I correct?

I don't think so... at least here, (mail-mode) does
(use-local-map mail-mode-map) before it does
(run-hooks 'text-mode-hook 'mail-mode-hook).  However, I suppose if
you are really desperate, you could use the mail-setup-hook, which is
called after the message is initialized.

>5.  Is there a method to convert an entire Babyl file to Unix format?

Probably the simplest procedure would be to go to the first message in
the file, use C-o to output the message to a unix-format mail file,
and then define yourself a keyboard macro to repeat this operation on
each succeeding message.  For example C-x ( n C-o RET C-x ) followed
by ESC 1 0 0 C-x e.

Raul Miller                                        |
INTERNET:   raulmill@usc.edu                       |
UUCP:       ...uunet!usc!raulmill                  |  55 mph = 82 nc
U.S.SNAIL:  721 E Windsor #4,  GLENDALE CA  91205  |