[comp.emacs] C comments in GNU emacs

kincaid@cg-atla.UUCP (Tom Kincaid ) (06/01/89)

I am switching over from UNIPRESS emacs to GNU. I am having
a problem with comments.

I am in c-mode and want to change my comment column.
It is set to 32. The command
C-x ; (set-comment-column) does not seem to be working. The comment
column stays at 32 no matter what I do. Any GURU's out there with some
answers?

		Thanks,
			Tom Kincaid

raulmill@aludra.usc.edu (Raul) (06/04/89)

In article <7074@cg-atla.UUCP> kincaid@cg-atla.UUCP (Tom Kincaid ) writes:
>I am in c-mode and want to change my comment column.
>It is set to 32. The command
>C-x ; (set-comment-column) does not seem to be working. The comment
>column stays at 32 no matter what I do. Any GURU's out there with some
>answers?

What version of gnu-emacs are you working with?  Going into C mode,
everything seems to work fine:

						/* column 48 comment */
 /*  column zero comment  */

etc. ...

You do realize that if you use a numeric argument (except minus), you
are simply reusing the indentation of the previous comment in your
program.  Just move to the column you want your comments at, and hit
C-x ; (with no arguments) to set the column.

Raul Miller
Raul Miller                                        |
INTERNET:   raulmill@usc.edu                       |
UUCP:       ...uunet!usc!raulmill                  |  55 mph = 82 nc
U.S.SNAIL:  721 E Windsor #4,  GLENDALE CA  91205  |