[comp.emacs] Freemacs 1.5e now available.

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (06/14/89)

In article <3169@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
	[Russ describes his new release....]
>There are a number of Emacs clones for the PC available.  Freemacs
>has two distinguishing characteristics:
>
>o Freemacs is the only freely copyable programmable editor.  Epsilon and Brief
>  are examples of commercial programmable editors.  (MicroEmacs has a macro
>  language, but that doesn't make it programmable).

	Come on Russ, I think a lot of people appreciate your efforts and
your program, but this is just mis-information.  MicroEMACS does indeed
contain a reasonably complete programming language.  I just finished
writting a 2500 line mail reader for our internal mail system.  By any
definition, this could really only be done from within a programming
language.

>I'm a right-to-lifer -- everyone has a right to earn a living sufficient to
>feed himself and his family.

	agreed.  If you use Freemacs, or MicroEMACS, or any shareware
program that you appreciate, please register it.

			Daniel Lawrence  voice: (317) 742-5153
					  arpa:	dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
				The Programmer's Room
				Fido: 1:201/10 - (317) 742-5533

In article <9613@j.cc.purdue.edu> nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:

   ...  MicroEMACS does indeed contain a reasonably complete
   programming language.  ...

If that's the case, then you have improved it considerably since I
looked at 3.9 and wrote that description.  At the time, MicroEmacs was
severely hampered by a baroque syntax, an abundance of high-level
"primitives", and a lack of the necessary low level primitives.  If
you have overcome these difficulties, then congratulations and an
apology are due.

   If you use Freemacs, or MicroEMACS, or any shareware program that
   you appreciate, please register it.

Freemacs is just that, free.  Please don't try to "register" Freemacs,
because no such service is available.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (06/16/89)

Russ Nelson writes:
> Freemacs is the only freely copyable programmable editor.  Epsilon and Brief
> are examples of commercial programmable editors.  (MicroEmacs has a macro
> language, but that doesn't make it programmable).

William Davidsen, Daniel Lawrence, and others reply:
> Some of us would disagree with that, I have written thousands of lines
> of memacs macro code, and it does quite well, thanks.

Neither of you guys have implemented a well-known extension language, in the
sense that neither MINT nor Memacs macros look anything like the extension
language of any real Emacs implementation, nor are they based on a general-
purpose programming language.  Both of your editors are high-quality products.
I prefer Russ' attitude and licensing, but Dan's editor is portable!  :)
Kudo's to you both, and don't bicker in front of the children!
--
--

cag@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Chris Green) (06/16/89)

A little while ago I was looking for PD/Shareware EMACS clones for the
IBM PC and found:-
	Freemacs
	Micro Emacs
	ME
	Jove
After a certain amount of looking at all four I decided that Jove was
best for my uses.  Certainly I think Freemacs claim to be the only
'programmable' EMACS clone for the PC is a bit over the top.   BTW
anyone have any further news on Jove 4.13 for the PC?

Chris Green