[net.unix-wizards] Need help implementing automatic signoff under 4.2 BSD UNIX.

dem@uwslh.UUCP (David E. Miran) (04/07/86)

I am planning to implement an automatic signoff feature so that
idle terminals will be signed out after 30 minutes with no activity.
We are running Berkeley 4.2 Unix on a VAX-11/750.
If anyone has already done this or has any useful suggestions please
mail code or suggestions to:
David E. Miran         ...!{seismo,harvard,topaz,ihnp4}!uwvax!uwslh!dem
I want to do this right so that I can correctly kill off those processes
waiting for terminal input, but not those that are waiting for some
other activity to complete (like a slow tape drive on a busy system).
This second requirement means that the scheme used by the w or uptime
program is not sufficient.
I would also want to find and kill off the parent of this process and
repeat until I had killed off the person's login shell, being careful
not to go so far as to kill init.
I have some general ideas on how to modify the kernel to allow this, but
it looks like a lot of work and could hurt system efficiency it it
is done poorly.  Any help would be appreciated.
--
David E. Miran         ...!{seismo,harvard,topaz,ihnp4}!uwvax!uwslh!dem
Wisconsin State Hygiene Lab          (608) 262-0019

In article <137@uwslh.UUCP> dem@uwslh.UUCP (David E. Miran) writes:
>I am planning to implement an automatic signoff feature so that
>idle terminals will be signed out after 30 minutes with no activity.

Prepare to be crucified by Blit and DMD users, who often need a
terminal port kept open for a long time with no intervening activity.

Many shells have a default time-out feature (that can be explicitly
disabled by users who need to); consider using this instead.