[comp.emacs] GNU on a MIPS 120

RSPELLMAN@bat.bates.EDU (06/21/89)

Hello all,

I am trying to compile GNU 18.52 on a MIPS/120.  I tried the hints in
etc/MACHINES, and it didn't work.  The system came with a compiled
version of GNU 18.52, so I know that somebody has successfully gotten
it to compile and run.  I would use the compiled version, but I would
like to add some modifications that I have made from another system.

Thanks in advance

Rob Spellman
RSpellman@Bat.Bates.Edu
Bates College Computing Center
Lewiston, Maine 04240

wje@mips.com (William J. Earl) (06/23/89)

In article <8906211601.AA01213@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, RSPELLMAN@bat writes:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to compile GNU 18.52 on a MIPS/120.  I tried the hints in
> etc/MACHINES, and it didn't work.  The system came with a compiled
> version of GNU 18.52, so I know that somebody has successfully gotten
> it to compile and run.  I would use the compiled version, but I would
> like to add some modifications that I have made from another system.

       GNU emacs 18.52 is shipped already built with RISC/os 4.0 for
the MIPS M/120.  Since it is an optional subpackage, however, you
may have to ask your system administrator to install it.

       We have sent most of the changes for RISC/os to FSF, but there
are some which were added for the RISC/os 4.0 release, which we plan
to send sometime soon.  These are available on request at nominal
cost, as is required by the GNU license.  (Have your MIPS
representative send me mail if there is any problem getting the emacs
source tape; I think it is a special-order item.)  We wanted to put
the sources on the regular binary release tape, but there wasn't room
without going to an extra tape.  If we switch to higher capacity tapes
for the media for the next release, we will include the complete
sources.

      The binary version that we ship does have the drawback that
you cannot conveniently pre-load additional packages.  On the other
hand, the M/120 is fast enough that autoload-ing a few more
packages, based on autoload declarations in your .emacs file,
takes very little time, so I haven't found it necessary.