[comp.emacs] Book on Emacs Summary

peter@ora.UUCP (Peter Mui) (06/22/89)

Thanks to all of you (actually, 32 of you) who responded to my
questions about writing an emacs book.  Here's a summary of the
more discussed points:

1) GNU Emacs was the overwhelming favorite.
After GNU, uEmacs, Freemacs, and Jove were most often mentioned, in
that order.  Unipress (Gosling) Emacs was surprisingly absent.

2) There were a large number of "don't bother"s who felt that the
existing documentation, combined with the on-line tutorials and
on-line help, was quite adequate.

3) Some areas noted for improved documentation:

	writing macro extensions in the different macro languages
	^ lots of people commented about this ^
	examples showing the same "customization" in different languages
	summary charts of the standard key bindings for different versions
	a sample .emacs default file w/ explanation of its parts
	mapping function keys on popular keyboards
	a "How Do I...?" section
	how to obtain the various versions
	a history of emacs

An oft-mentioned GNU-specific gripe is that there is a large
intuitive leap between the two books FSF produces, the GNU Emacs manual
and the ELISP Programmer's Manual.  Some people mentioned that FSF was
planning to release a document that filled this void soon.

There was also concern expressed about undermining the FSF with a
for-profit book with parts about GNU.
We're sensitive to this concern, and won't do an emacs book without
coming to some agreement with FSF first.

Again, thanks.  If you've got more suggestions or comments, send me e-mail.
-peter

--
Peter Mui: (617) 354-5800
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

rbj@dsys.ncsl.nist.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (06/24/89)

? From: Peter Mui <ginosko!infinet!adelie!ora!peter@BBN.COM>

? 2) There were a large number of "don't bother"s who felt that the
? existing documentation, combined with the on-line tutorials and
? on-line help, was quite adequate.

? There was also concern expressed about undermining the FSF with a
? for-profit book with parts about GNU.
? We're sensitive to this concern, and won't do an emacs book without
? coming to some agreement with FSF first.

Perhaps one agreement would be to split or even donate the profits
to the GNU project. FSF sells the manuals for something like $15.
A price of $20 to with a $15 donation to FSF would be about right,
and the donation is tax deductible, a hidden profit.

This way ORA would get PR value and be able to out their name before
the public, similar to the way Public Radio & TV do: this program
was produced in part by a grant from the Foobar Corporation. Perhaps
a simple list of other ORA books would be allowed inside the back cover.

FSF might be better served if it could rid itself of the distribution
of hard-copy manuals. And FSF would be visible in bookstores. Go for it!

? Again, thanks.  If you've got more suggestions or comments, send me e-mail.
? -peter

? Peter Mui: (617) 354-5800
? O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
? 90 Sherman Street, Cambridge, MA 02140
? UUCP:	uunet!ora!peter      ARPA:   peter@ora.uu.net

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?

rlk@think.com (Robert Krawitz) (06/24/89)

The FSF has no objection that I can see to people making profits, even
large ones (e. g. if I can get you to give me $5000 for an emacs
source tape, I haven't violated the license as long as I don't hold
you to any other terms that violate it).  Given that the main goal of
the licensing arrangement is to ensure free distribution, an
alternative arrangement would be to sell the book with a copyleft.
Given that books are usually sold at prices more or less in line with
their copying cost, and that the quality of a photocopy is inferior to
that of the original book, the sales probably wouldn't be impacted to
any great degree, and the book would capture the spirit of the FSF.

Companies generally don't care about shelling out $10 or $15 for a
manual for each employee, and stocking some extras in case some get
lost, but they definitely care about shelling out a few thousand for a
software license.
--
ames >>>>>>>>>  |	Robert Krawitz <rlk@think.com>	245 First St.
bloom-beacon >  |think!rlk				Cambridge, MA  02142

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (06/27/89)

In article <1576@ora.UUCP> peter@ora.UUCP (Peter Mui) writes:
>There was also concern expressed about undermining the FSF with a
>for-profit book with parts about GNU.
>We're sensitive to this concern, and won't do an emacs book without
>coming to some agreement with FSF first.

How about donating the profits from the sales of this book to the FSF?

--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
    {alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA