[comp.emacs] Termcaps problem

mike@system.Cambridge.NCR.COM (mike) (07/10/89)

From: ncrlnk!ncrcae!ncrlnk!ncrcam!system.Cambridge.NCR.COM!mike@uunet.uu.net
To: vijay@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Termcaps probem
Newsgroups: comp.emacs

In article <325@albanycs.Albany.Edu> you write:
>After I finally though I had it installed ok, my emacs implementaion
>tells me "emacs: cant open termcap database file". I recall seeing
>
> < ... other stuff deleted >
>
>Anyone know whats goin' on?
>
>Thanks.
>
>- Vijay
>-------
>vijay@cssun.albany.edu
>vijay@albanycs.albany.edu
>-------

emacs lies to you with that message.  It doesn't use termcaps at all.
(At least the one I have doesn't.)  It uses terminfo.  These files are
found at /usr/lib/terminfo.

See you Unix documentation for a description of these files and their
care and feeding.  If you get the changes made here for your terminal,
you should be all set.

This is one of those times where you can beat you brains out against
the termcap wall and not be doing anything toward solving your
problem.

I hope this helps.

mike