[comp.emacs] Pseudo terminals and GNU emacs version 18.50.

erskine@force10%cs.dal.ca (Neil Erskine) (07/15/89)

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs
Subject: Pseudo terminals and GNU emacs version 18.50.

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.unix.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
Newsgroups: comp.sys.xenix, comp.emacs

][b
	I just tried to enable pseudo terminal support in GNU emacs 18.50
    after about a year of doing without.  Well it almost works.  I have
    two problems:

    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.

    2.	When in shell mode, su won't run, it just says "Sorry".

    	On a related note, there seems to be no xenix documentation
    whatsoever on the pseudo terminals supplied with Xenix 386 2.3.2.
    I have looked closely enough to know that specifying SYSV_PTYS to
    GNU emacs won't work (sys/pty doesn't exist).

	Does anyone have any recommendations, or hard information about
    haw ptys work in xenix?

						Thanks,
							Neil
||!][b
---------------
Neil Erskine				uunet!dalcs!force10!erskine
--
Neil S. Erskine			MT&T - (902) 453-4915
Safeguard Business Systems	USENET { garfield, watmath, utzoo!utai,

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (07/17/89)

In article <1989Jul14.193715.11396@force10%cs.dal.ca> erskine@force10%cs.dal.ca (Neil Erskine) writes:
>    1.	When running the terminal emulator, when a program goes into cbreak
>    mode (e.g. vi), I have to press each key twice to have it recognized by
>    the program. For exampmle, in vi to move down to the right I press jjll.
>    When I get out of vi into say the shell, it works fine again.
That problem appears when a process in the background runs and has stdin
not disabled or redirected.

You have the same problem if you start vi in the background.

By the way, nice posting - you've repeated your News at least 40 times.

-Axel

--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer