[comp.emacs] GNU Emacs for A/UX

tonyk@durin.sparta.COM (Tony Kubis) (07/14/89)

Just got my A/UX 1.1 system and I was not happy to see Apple removed
emacs. I would like to install GNU Emacs on A/UX since all of are
other Unix systems currently run GNU Emacs Ver. 18.51. Are there any
versions of GNU emacs that support A/UX?? Where could I get the source
from?? Since I have the source for 18.51, if anyone knows hows to install
this version under A/UX that would be helpful also. Thanx!!!!

jspear@gryphon.COM (Jon Spear) (07/16/89)

In article <1222@durin.sparta.COM> tonyk@durin.sparta.COM (Tony Kubis) writes:
>Just got my A/UX 1.1 system and I was not happy to see Apple removed
>emacs.

I've heard GNU Emacs was removed mainly because it took up so much disk
space.

Instructions for installing GNUEmacs under A/UX 1.1 were printed in
either MacUser or MacWorld sometime this year in a short article.

You can find GNU Emacs already configured for AUX via FTP from
apple.com.  I forget what version was there, but it was at least 18.51,
and it was pretty huge (well over 1MB) so I didn't get it.  BTW, GCC
1.35 was also there for FTPing, and is patched for AUX.
        AUX versions of GNU Emacs and GCC were there a couple weeks ago,
but with all the flack by FSFers against Apple for their law suits, I
suppose they could have disappeared since. I hope not.

If you don't want to have GNU Emacs eating tons of disk space, you might
want to consider one of the small emacs-like editors.  I plan to use Ken
Mitchum's AUX port of Jonathan Payne's JOVE editor when I get my AUX
machine going.  JOVE has the emacs commands and modes that I use most
often, and is reasonably compact and fast.  Versions of JOVE 4.12
configured for both AUX and the MacOS are available via FTP from
cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.

Hope this helps,

-Jon
--
-----
Jon L Spear: jspear@gryphon.COM    <routing site>!gryphon!jspear

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) (07/21/89)

I also would be interested in GNU Emacs.  I have source as well, and have
started to port, but it looks like a long and laborious task...

ryan@amc-vlsi.uucp		|	Ryan Jorgenson
ryan@amc-vlsi.ucalgary.ca	|	The Alberta Microelectronic Centre